Now that SSD pricing is relatively stable/sane, I'm taking another look at them, in particular the Samsung 840 non-Pro in 120GB and 250GB capacities (I like Samsung SSDs for reliability reasons, and the two non-Pros for *bang for buck* reasons - they are at least as fast as the old 820 SSDs while remaining under $1/GB, in either size).
However, I have several questions:
1. I currently dual-boot Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, and I have the ugly thought that Server 2012 (not Windows 8) holds the boot loader (Server 2012 was installed last). Can Windows 8 be migrated AND made bootable from within Samsung Magician, or is a reinstall necessary?
2. Can Samsung Magician do a *selective migration*? Preferably, I'd like to do a minimal migration, since a FULL migration is utterly impossible - my Windows 8 partition is WAY too large.
3. Can game services OTHER than Steam (Origin in particular) be migrated to an SSD? (My Origin folder is larger than my Steam folder, and holds most of the games that I play - if there are advantages in migrating it to an SSD, I want to take advantage of them.)
4. It is quite likely that the SSD add-in will be before I change CPU and motherboard (price reasons - even the larger SSD is cheaper than my planned CPU+motherboard) - would a re-migration/reinstall be needed afterward? (Chipset change is from G41 to Z77.)
However, I have several questions:
1. I currently dual-boot Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, and I have the ugly thought that Server 2012 (not Windows 8) holds the boot loader (Server 2012 was installed last). Can Windows 8 be migrated AND made bootable from within Samsung Magician, or is a reinstall necessary?
2. Can Samsung Magician do a *selective migration*? Preferably, I'd like to do a minimal migration, since a FULL migration is utterly impossible - my Windows 8 partition is WAY too large.
3. Can game services OTHER than Steam (Origin in particular) be migrated to an SSD? (My Origin folder is larger than my Steam folder, and holds most of the games that I play - if there are advantages in migrating it to an SSD, I want to take advantage of them.)
4. It is quite likely that the SSD add-in will be before I change CPU and motherboard (price reasons - even the larger SSD is cheaper than my planned CPU+motherboard) - would a re-migration/reinstall be needed afterward? (Chipset change is from G41 to Z77.)