SSD Mega Round-Up

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Hardware.Info have rounded up sixty SSDs and put them to the test. Good info for those of you that are currently comparison shopping SSDs.

Samsung's 850 Pro SSDs are without a doubt the fastest SSDs of this moment. Given that this product does not seem to have any flaws, we heartily recommend it to those who are looking for the fastest possible SSD. The Vector 150 and AMD Radeon R7 SSDs are decent alternatives, but are unable to match Samsung's level of performance in the high-end segment.

It's good to see they are pushing the speeds, but, you can keep your absolute outright speed, Intel ssd only for me. I value reliability over everything else after my run in with my first ssd being the dreaded, (as I found out the hard way), ocz vertex.

But that's not to say I may look to Samsung in the future if intel stop making suitable ssd as I really dig the Samsung hdd they used to make before they pulled out. I'm on critical storage levels with my 1tb Samsung because nothing else looks as good as they used to be right now.

If you want speed try out the Samsung m2 drive on a board with a direct link to the processor instead of through the chipset.

The new Samsung SM951 with NVMe support and PCIe Gen3 x4 has much better numbers. Seq R/W 1600/1000 MB/sec, Random R/W IOPS 130K/100K. Available Q1 2015 :D
Even Samsung's current XP941 is blazing fast PCIe Gen2 x4 at Seq R/W 1170/950 MB/sec, Random R/W IOPS 122K/72K.

Meh, synch benchmarks again. Test them in teal life scenario - games and application loading times, times to encode movies, copy and rar files, or time to open large raw files. Synch benchmarks have no transfer to real world. Yes some may look nice, being faster in benchmarks, but will have no difference in real world. Like the raid 0 - looks amazing in tests, but once put through real life usage, all the numbers are meaningless. It is like with faster ram. Yes 2800 will conquer synths, but won't differ in FPS between them and 1600mhz.

All that matters now is warranty, software, speed of releasing new firmware. As all the consumer drives really don't differ that much.

Back