SSD For Games?

AthlonXP

Fully [H]
Just wanted to ping everyone on if an SSD is something I should look to get for my steam games. Right now I am debating on whether to pick up a 960gb or 1TB SSD, either Sandisk or Samsung.

Just wanted people's thoughts on how they performed if you have already done this yourself.

Thanks!

Corsair 240GB neutron GTX (with a Samsung 950 pro 512GB waiting in the wings for the rest of the new parts)

I'm not going to say I have much of experience with games and SSDs
GTA5, Gas Guzzlers: nothing really noticeable
Firefall: marginally improved loading times
Witcher 3: improved loading times

I don't usually bother with monitoring FPS, but no noticeable frame rate differences

Yeah the plan is to have Origin Games and WOW run off my 950 pro and mainly just have all the steam games run from another SSD.

I've got all SSD in my system:

480GB - Boot/apps
256GB - scratch/catch
1TB - Steam, Origin, GOG, etc

Noticeable improvement in game launch and level load times over my single platter 1TB spindle.

Are there any tangible benefits of having games on an SSD instead of a traditional HDD?

Are there any tangible benefits of having games on an SSD instead of a traditional HDD?

Did you read the thread above yours?

Faster load times...

I run a 950 for my OS and cheaper SSD for rest of everything, I'm pretty much the first in the games I play (FPS).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Depends on the game. Most games there is no noticeable difference in performance except for games with lengthy load times.

CompUSA comes to mind and scoring tons of $0 after rebate deals :) and browsing a decent selection of parts... i feel like Frys is 100x larger now days and has the same or LESS than CompUSA used too... they don't even touch Incredible Universe

I use 840 EVO for system, 480GB MX100 for loading speed dependent games, and platter drives for everything else that is not games or loading speed dependent games (such as games that load in the same amount of time regardless of what kind of drive, or the games that load so fast that won't make a difference).

I use SSD's for my main games and use a spinner for games I don't play often but want to have access to if I decide to play them.

OP, given the responses here, it should be clear ... 100% go SSD. If you have the $$$ / mobo support, go NVME / PCIE SSD.

But even if you don't, no matter what, go SSD. Games are the main thing that benefit from SSDs (the others being photo / video editing and boot time). Hell, my MSOffice runs better on an SSD.

Do I need Office that fast? No. but I sure do like having it :-D

Back