ssd diagnostic

serpretetsky

2[H]4U
Do standard hard drive diagnostics tell you anything on ssd's? I can't find much information on this topic, except for some post on the internet somewhere where someone simply said that standard tests do not work at all on ssd's.

I can see how a test that tells you your drive is fine may not mean anything on an ssd since an ssd redistributes the writes to different chips and may not even test all of the flash.

However, what about a test that tells you it failed a read/verify test? Doesn't that mean the ssd has a bad flash cell (assuming your mobo, cpu, mem, and controller have no issues)?

So.... this is not just a topic that isn't asked much, this is actually a topic that is known very little about. Anyone?

SMART attributes. View them with Intel Toolbox (for Intel SSD only), or GSmartControl or Crystal Disk Info.

I believe the drive will tell you if it has any bad cells in the reallocated sectors part of SMART.

However I do not believe you get the SSD to let you read all of the sectors that are on the drive and are in reserve. Also I do not believe this is how SSDs die at the moment. They seem to have some controller failure that renders the drive unusable but this does not appear to be related to the flash at all.

Back