SSD deteration over time, results

deeppow

Limp Gawd
Since there has been discussion of SSD performance over time I had a little time and thought I would take a look at my particular results. I'm running Win7 so TRIM is active on one SSD with my OS; it is an Inter 510 120G (using SATAIII) that has < 48G used. I also have two older Vertex2 60G SSDs that I used to created a RAID0 configuration using Intel RST, about 67.5G is used.

Since RAID SSDs don't currently use TRIM plus I've used Diskeeper for years and it now has an addition called HyperFast for SSDs, I was curious what the behacior of the SSD RAID array would display. (By the way, I have no connection to Diskeeper. I bought it just like anyone else would.)

Two sets of ATTO results for the Intel 510 SSD. Left are results for 4/23/2011 and right is 1/05/2011.
Intel_SSD.jpg

There are differences, the Writes in general are a little lower and Reads are higher. I can't explain these but I'm happy there is no significant deterioration.

For the Vertex2 RAID0, the two results are shown with the left for 4/23/2011 and right is 1/05/2011.
Vertex2_RAID0.jpg

The OCZ quote for the Vertex2 speed is Max Sequential Read up to 285MB/s and Max Sequential Write up to 275MB/s. As well known these quoted speeds are a high-ball number, at best. Anyway, important to me is I see no significant deterioration of the array behavior. The increase speed of the array I would assume is due to the RAID0 behavior.

If you find any problems with what I've done, I'm always ready to learn more so please point them out. Anyway, I would be careful about extending my results to other setups but thought you might find them interesting. :D

I don't typically measure them since they are small. What do you use?

access time is pretty irrelevant to an SSD. It should be in the nanoseconds really. 4k random i/o is a better measurment of access performance imho.

Back