SSD Decisions Boot + Program Drives

TekRok

2[H]4U
Hey everyone, I wanted to get some opinions on these choices.
I am building a new system so wanted to go with 2 drives for boot and programs/games.

Decided on Samsung 850PRO 256GB for boot, and Crucial MX100 500GB for programs and such. Those two brands is what I used in the past, so I want to stick with them. Is it worth getting the MX100 over MX200? MX 200 is MLC NAND based with similar price but seems its upside down compared to MX100 in terms of read write.

Opinions?

You can find the Crucial M550 512G for about the same price as the MX100 and it's faster, why not go for that one instead?
//Danne

You can find the Crucial M550 512G for about the same price as the MX100 and it's faster, why not go for that one instead?
//Danne

M550 vs MX100 is apples to apples, its speeds are pretty much on par, if not the same most of the time.

I might actually go for the MX200. Speed is pretty much the same as the MX100/M550 since its replacing those models, but its endurance is 160TB vs. 72 with the previous gen drives. So it shouldnt degrade as fast.

What about a single 1TB SSD ?
Main reason is because I want to mitigate unnecessary wear on the drives. Have a dedicated boot drive with all programs like security and productivity, a second drive to handle games and beefier programs, and a 7200RPM drive to dump media on.

My 840EVO 500GB was my dedicated drive for the last 2 years, give or take, i pretty much dumped everything on it. Now its working at half the speed its advertised at. Mainly because of LTC based memory, it wont last as long as an MLC based drive would. Really disappointed in LTC.

Crucial recently released new firmware for the m550 that fixes a lot of issues

Back