• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SSD and Win7 Pro, what modifications?

sasquatch182

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 30, 2009
Messages
142
Ok, I'll be installing Win7 on my first SSD. Intel 510, 120G drive.

Now, what things do I need to change once I get it running?

Should I move the page file to my 1TB WD Black?
Do I have to do anything to get Win7 to enable Trim?

Any other advice?

Thanks
 
If you have loads of RAM do manual pagefile settings and set the pagefile on the SSD to like 2GB min/max, reboot, then set it to 2GB min/recommended max, other than that leave it alone
 
I haven't figured out exactly what to do with my new SSD setup (96GB Kingston, Win7Pro) - but I noticed some weird issues with sleep. Thinking that should probably be disabled as well, maybe hibernate too.

So far I've enabled AHCI on my SATA controller, and verified TRIM is up and running.
 
Aside from making sure your SATA controller is in AHCI mode you really don't have to do anything at all, except perhaps confirming that defrag is disabled for the SSD. And even that should happen automatically.
 
Found a good optimization guide here. Followed most of the recommendations, and I did notice my system "felt" faster during boot. Also disabled hibernate and shrunk my page file.

The guide mentions that Win7 does most of the necessary SSD tweaks on its own, but a few important ones must be manually done if you are switching to an SSD but not re-installing the OS.

Several tweaks are for reducing the amount of writes on the SSD, which should help the overall lifespan of the drive.
 
Best bet - install it and use it just like you would a normal hard drive. Don't try to over-think it. You can disable hibernation and hybrid sleep to save disk space, and shrink the page file for the same reason, but otherwise pretty much leave it alone. You can run the Intel SSD Toolbox to verify everything is set correctly, but most "tweaks" are useless or worse - particularly ones aimed at reducing writes, which are probably from the days of the first Gen 1 SSDs when everyone was terrified of the life span boogey-man.

For example, why would you want to reduce performance by moving temporary internet files to a non-SSD disk? You bought the SSD for speed, so why not use it?
 
Back
Top