SR-2 & Best Suggestion for HSF

capreppy

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2009
What is the best bang for the buck HSF for the SR2 given that two of them will need to be mounted.

Assume I am going for high OC's in the 4+GHz range.
Assume I am going with Westmere retail chips (at this point, it is likely to be the X5650).

I may go one now and the second one in 4 weeks when I get my next consulting check.

I have an H50 here and not in use. Only issue I have is that I will be using the MM Tray (no backplate) and won't have any place to mount the RAD. I do wonder about the H50's capabilities given that I am looking at 4+GHz range.

Xeons run cooler, so I've heard.
I plan on building a custom tray with a top plate, above the CPU's, for the two radiator.
Like this but bigger and have mounts in the rear for dual push/pull rad setup!
I have everything here, except the motherboard to start fabing.
I plan on installing a fan holes on top so fans can blow air down on the motherboard.

Last edited:
My X5650s with Cogage TRUE Spirits hover around 60C at 3.85GHz and low volts. When I was pushing voltage to try to get stable at 4GHz, I went over 70C with LinX but would have probably been under with F@H. Depending on how far you want to push past 4GHz, you may be better served with an (expensive) watercooling setup. Otherwise, I don't think there's that much difference between the various high-end coolers, and the Cogage seems to work as well as the classic TRUE for less money.

If you're going to get big HSFs, make sure you get low profile memory. It will give you more mounting options. The fins on my Corsair Dominator RAM only allow the heatsinks to be mounted in one direction.

My sig rig is setup to run an SR2 (except for the MoBo tray). It is completely under water and could handle an SR-2 without ANY ISSUE.

I do however have 3 x GTX285's on that rig and would love to keep them folding. If I did put the SR2 in my sig rig, then I would kill the GPU folding on that rig.

I would prefer to not have to touch my sig rig (upgrade planned for next year). The SR2 would be a dedicated rig (for now), but will likely serve as a server lab when near the end of the year.

Im trying to figure out the same thing.

I was looking at the NH-D14. I know they are expensive but im going for 4.3ghz bigadv stable.
Im running naked no i have no place to mount a Rad for water.

I had issues with H50s getting rid of that much heat.

Xeons run coller at stock, all bets off when OCing.

The other question is, what is your noise tolerance? The Noctua's are designed to perform well and be quite. That is normally great, but if the system will be running in a basement where noise is not an issue, then you are paying for something you don't need. I'd bet money that a Cogage True Spirit or a CM Hyper 212 with a pair of Scythe Slipstream 120CFM's would outperform an NH-D14. I just wouldn't want to be in the same room with it for any length of time. Actually, the Slipstreams aren't that bad. They are loud, but not 6K Delta whine loud.

Its going into my rack in the empty closet so it doesnt have to be too quiet.

Do you think a Cocage TS with Sythe Kaze 2000RPM would cool just as well at high clocks?

My TS's with a cheapo second fan stay pretty quiet and at 3.85 I'm now I'm averaging 63-65

got mine at 35$ each and they mount directly to the plate already on the SR2
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Its going into my rack in the empty closet so it doesnt have to be too quiet.

Do you think a Cocage TS with Sythe Kaze 2000RPM would cool just as well at high clocks?

It is all about airflow. The stock fan probably pushed mid 30's CFM. If you have one pushing 60+ CFM, you are in better shape than stock (and stock is very good, by the way.) If you have one pushing 100+ CFM, even better. If you have 2 of them, better yet.

The only thing to worry about, and I will defer to TS owners on this one, is if the fan mounts will handle fans that are not 25mm thick. So do, some don't. I don't know about the TS.

Looks like the NH-D14s on Amazon are going to cost less than Cogage Arrows + fans so im buying the NH-D14.

TS + Fans are definitely cheaper but i think this will give the me the same cooling, and has the potential for much better cooling with upgraded high CFM fans.

Looks like the NH-D14s on Amazon are going to cost less than Cogage Arrows + fans so im buying the NH-D14.

TS + Fans are definitely cheaper but i think this will give the me the same cooling, and has the potential for much better cooling with upgraded high CFM fans.

I kinda like the Noctua's. I am likely to go with these.

I currently have a Noctua NH-C12P on my second i7 920 since it sits inside a server case.

The SR-2 will sit on a MoBo Tray (maybe not even that) so height isn't an issue. Noise is somewhat a concern as I'l be sharing the space with the SR-2.

Make sure there is enough clearance between the Noctua and the RAM modules. Because of the size of the cooler there can be a clearance issue with RAM modules that have tall heatspreaders. Sometimes just clipping the 120mm fan up a few fins higher will do the trick but I'd advise to check the Noctua website for more info.

I must say that I have been impressed with my NH-D14. With my 980x I'm getting temps just over 70C at 4.3 GHz with room temps running 78-80F.

Enjoy yours.

Those are some pretty awesome temps :D

I am probably not going to go with really tall RAM. I am probably going to go with two sets of these G.Skills. I've had lots of success with G.Skills and these are not that tall.

Thanks about the temps.

I was just over at the Noctua site and it said that the NH-D14 was not compatible with the SR-2. Not sure why but that 's what they say.

Thanks about the temps.

I was just over at the Noctua site and it said that the NH-D14 was not compatible with the SR-2. Not sure why but that 's what they say.

There are a bunch of smaller heatsyncs around the sockets. Also the RAM might be in the way.

When you have a huge heatsync there are all kinds of things it could hit.

I'd probably also consider these:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556091103.html

They would save you from removing the Xeon mounting plates that come with the SR-2. I am very seriously thinking about going to the 92mm versions for mine with the L5640s.

Not a bad price and it can take a second fan. I'll keep these in mind. I probably won't pull the trigger on anything till the 13th as I don't have time time to do an actual build the 17th.

Bit late, but I can sort of recommend the Noctua NH-D14 - I am not temperature limited really, I am at the max voltages I am comfortable with. And much above 4.2GHz on x5650s is pretty hard.

You can really only install these blowing upwards, so that has to work in your case. They are huge!

But having had problem RAM that has meant much swapping, I can't recommend these heatsinks if you want RAM with heatspreaders, or expect to swap things around often.

But in terms of coping with nearly 1.4 volts through hexcores, they are very good.

I've not bought anything because I won't have time to do a build for another 2 weeks (also when my large check comes in).

I'm not shooting for the sky or anything, but 4.2 would be nice. These HSFs may be a temporary solution as I may eventually put the SR2 in my sig rig.

I have a H50 on my 920 it runs @4.0 at 80-85c with a room temp of 75f. Im gonna try the H70 myself

That seems pretty bad actually, my 4ghz i7 was doing like 75-78 with a TS, and it's in a case in a rack, only 3 fans in the case and it's a TIGHT fit, with only a TS with one fan
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

If I can get the expense approved I'm planning on the H50/70 but using different fans (maybe in the 200 cfm variety) as this will be going in an air conditioned data center.

Just sad I didnt save that old 4U IBM case, coulda gutted it and made an [H] worthy conversion.

Back