• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

squeal while folding info.

dccmadams

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
2,010
All the gtx 260s, 280s, and 275s that I have had, squeal while folding and also during extremely high fps, like when 3dmark06 is loading the next test. I got a new hx750 psu, and the noise is gone from the card now. I swapped the exact same card between my 2 systems, with same result. The card that uses the hx750 is quiet, the card using the corsair hx 620 or corsair tx 650 squeals. Just some real world experience....
 
Interesting...if more people could confirm this, all those "My GFX squels"-posts could be attribuated to lack of *omphf*
 
I always thought my hx 620 had enough "omph", I have 2 tx 650s also. I did see this mentioned somewhere else blaming the power supply, but I did not think it applied to my corsair 600w+ units.
 
Odd. I have identical msi 275s, they both squeal on the tx 650, and both are quiet on the hx 750.
 
4870x2 squeals on an hx1000. it's just inductor coil whine. put vsync on for the fix.
 
This has nothing to do with lack of power. The prevailing theory is that it's caused by feedback from the video card's voltage regulation circuitry. It also seems to happen more often with Seasonic PSUs, which would explain why it was a problem with the HX620 and TX650 (both based on the Seasonic x900 platform) but didn't happen on the HX750 (which is a CWT DSG).
 
hmmm...I tried folding back when the first gpu clients were available and my 8800GTX made regular short squeals, when it was powered using an Antec Neo HE 550.
 
All the gtx 260s, 280s, and 275s that I have had, squeal while folding and also during extremely high fps, like when 3dmark06 is loading the next test. I got a new hx750 psu, and the noise is gone from the card now. I swapped the exact same card between my 2 systems, with same result. The card that uses the hx750 is quiet, the card using the corsair hx 620 or corsair tx 650 squeals. Just some real world experience....


its coil whine and its quite common on nvidia GTX series and ATI series cars.. has nothing to actually do with the PSU.. its the cards them selves that are the problem..
 
has nothing to actually do with the PSU.. its the cards them selves that are the problem..
That is not entirely true. Like I said, it seems to happen more often with Seasonic PSUs. The root cause appears to be the video card, but something about certain Seasonic designs in particular cause the issue to be more significant.
 
That is not entirely true. Like I said, it seems to happen more often with Seasonic PSUs. The root cause appears to be the video card, but something about certain Seasonic designs in particular cause the issue to be more significant.


hmm hadnt heard about that.. will keep that in mind..
 
If you read what I already posted, I have 2 cards. Both squeal on the hx 620 and tx 650. Neither squeal on the hx 750. Again, neither card squeals on the hx 750. Like Zero said, the psu does matter. It is the card making the noise, but the cards act differently on the different psu. It has everything to do with the psu, read my openning post again for explanation.
 
Last edited:
I did have a squeel with the Diamond 4890, I swapped it out for a GTX 295 CO-OP and now my squeel is completely gone. It seems to be video card dependant.
 
My 275 and Antec Neo 550 squeel, not constantly though, it's a pulse. I can't hear it over my headphones so it's ok.
 
I always thought my hx 620 had enough "omph", I have 2 tx 650s also. I did see this mentioned somewhere else blaming the power supply, but I did not think it applied to my corsair 600w+ units.

Should not matter. The people at the Corsair forums say the HX620 is more like 750W. I have an HX620 and I don't experience any squealing.
 
Should not matter. The people at the Corsair forums say the HX620 is more like 750W. I have an HX620 and I don't experience any squealing.
Again, it has NOTHING to do with the PSU's capacity. It has to do with the design and the manufacturer.
 
psu does matter. I have the psu's and cards here to test, using the same mobo also.
 
Should not matter. The people at the Corsair forums say the HX620 is more like 750W. I have an HX620 and I don't experience any squealing.

You are running a 4870x2 in sig? The nvidia card squeals, not the psu.
 
This has nothing to do with lack of power. The prevailing theory is that it's caused by feedback from the video card's voltage regulation circuitry. It also seems to happen more often with Seasonic PSUs, which would explain why it was a problem with the HX620 and TX650 (both based on the Seasonic x900 platform) but didn't happen on the HX750 (which is a CWT DSG).

Again, it has NOTHING to do with the PSU's capacity. It has to do with the design and the manufacturer.

psu does matter. I have the psu's and cards here to test, using the same mobo also.

I suggest you re-read Zero's posts. He's saying that the capacity of the PSU is not the deciding factor, more likely the actual design of the unit.
 
GTX 260 Core 216 and it squeals while running at very high FPS like in game menus or running older games. Happens on both my HX620 and TX750.
 
Anyone else have the hx 750 psu with a nvidia gtx card to comment...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top