SQL server 2008 annoyance

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I am trying to logon to the SQL server through the management console and get denied. I checked the event log and I get this:

"Token-based server access validation failed with an infrastructure error"

According to my research it seems only the person who installed SQL server has access to log on to it, unless some explicit allows are set. Then, what's the point of an AD environment? This concept just shoots centralized management out the window!

Am I right in my assumption, or could this error be something else? I'm part of domain/enterprise/schema admins. My first time logging on to this box as it's my coworker that usually works on it, he's the DB guy and most likely the one that installed it.

DB permissions can be set using SQL auth (standard security) or AD auth (integrated security)

UAC can also affect this. Try right-clicking on the SSMS app, selecting to "Run as Administrator", and trying to log in again.

I also read about UAC but this is on server 2003, so there's no UAC. I'm suspecting it was the fact that the permission was not set on domain admins. No way around this then right? I am a domain admin, so if there's any kind of back door I should be able to access it.

Back