SQL Practice Help

Aiwin

Weaksauce
I need to know and be comfortable with SQL at a basic level, and I need to get there fairly quickly (within a few weeks). I'll devote as much time to it as I need to. I'm planning on just picking up some books, but does anyone have suggestions for free or inexpensive SQL database sim software? Or a book that maybe comes with some? Nothing beats hands-on practice.

Well, I got a chance to look around just a little and I already found squcourse.com, which looks like a pretty good resource. Nevermind, I guess! :D

Just thought I'd let you know that you can download Oracle for free for training purposes from the Oracle web site. Also there is an option to create a starter db when you install.

It installs failry easily on a Windows system. But it does kind of take over the computer it is installed on.

You can get a Linux version too. But it wants red hat or some other commercial version of Linux. I did get it to work with Fedora. It took a while though.

SQL Server Express and MySQL are also free DB platforms that people can start off on. There's tons of others on the 'net, but SQL Server, Oracle, and MySQL are commonly mentioned in these forums. Any one of those three will offer you tons of sites, books, and people in this forum with active knowledge.

So what is motivating you to take a crash course in SQL? Is it for a particular DB (such as MS, Oracle, etc.), or a software vendor's application that utilizes a DB and SQL statements? This may help us give better suggestions on where to focus, and what resources would be beneficial.

Back