Spyder or ColorMunki

Superjoe

[H]ard|Gawd
If anyone has a suggestion or some input on a colorimeter to buy I'd appreciate hearing it. I had a Spyder3Express a couple years ago and I suppose I didn't really have any complaints other than only being able to calibrate one monitor.

My personal needs are pretty basic. Primarily a gamer, not doing any photography work. It would have to work in Windows/OSX and ideally Linux Mint if possible.

Would like to keep it under $150

From what I gather I'm looking at the ColorMunki Smile or the Spyder5Pro but I guess they have been around for a while and my lazy research tells me the OEM software isn't great or even very up to date on either. No desire to download third party apps and spend the day f'ing with it. Just want to run and done, get back to gaming.

Thanks!

imo, since it's just for gaming, just download some of the .icc color profiles for your specific LCD and use the one that looks best to you. Costs you nothing. If you aren't 100% happy, you can still buy a device.

Yeah I've done that in the past and just never got what I wanted. The spider 3 that I had made a huge difference with a ROG Swift I used to own.

Spyder isn't that accurate. I used them in the past and know the X-Rites are known to be more accurate. So look into the Colormunki's, personally I would look at some of www.tftcentral.co.uk's reviews on the colorimeter's and find what is best for you.

I suppose that settles it then, I'll check out the ColorMunki Display pretty soon when I switch monitors. Worst case, I send it back. Thanks

I would keep that one you have and use DisplayCAL as your calibration tool. It's a lot better!

Back