Spybot S&D, AVG anti-virus...and money

JahWarrior

n00b
I've been thinking about all the free programs that I have running on my machine...Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG anti-virus, Object Desktop stuff...how do they make money? With the exception of a Winamp upgrade I haven't laid down a cent for these programs, and some of them don't even have a buy now option...

So how are they supported?

uh, those would be the demos youre using, or pirated copies. all of those wares are timed demos that disable after 30 days

except for spybot which is donateware

Object Desktop is trialware. AVG has a free edition, probably what you're using; but the company puts out a commercial edition for businesses and those willing to buy the commercial version. Spybot is free and the developers depend on donations.

Originally posted by kronchev
uh, those would be the demos youre using, or pirated copies. all of those wares are timed demos that disable after 30 days

except for spybot which is donateware

Wow... good for you son. So.. I'd be a criminal for using AVG then? Interesting. Very interesting indeed.

Strange you know, I'd swear I'm using the free version off the Grisoft website. Anyhow, I better go arrest myself, wouldn't want on of them criminals roaming around the net with their illegal legal anti virus programs.

Their making money on their pay editions, donations, or simply like to produce software. Look at the many Linux/BSD/other free operating systems out there, and the thousands of software packages made by developers not charging a thing to use them. Some people aren't in it for the money, but for the personal satisfaction :)

Originally posted by tdg
Their making money on their pay editions, donations, or simply like to produce software. Look at the many Linux/BSD/other free operating systems out there, and the thousands of software packages made by developers not charging a thing to use them. Some people aren't in it for the money, but for the personal satisfaction :)
Well said. I believe that is why the internet is the last great frontier.

I thought AVG timed out if you didn't register for a serial number, but since registration is free, I'd call it freeware. Damn good freeware too.

Back