*sputter* the New Macintoshes are.. Watercooled?

Ubermouser

Limp Gawd
http://homepage.mac.com/thunderaudio/PhotoAlbum11.html

The final stand for Apple computers before they move over to the Intel's line of processors. A watercooled Quad G5 computer, hitting retail for an outrageous sum. So high, I cant tell you the price. Searching the forums netted nothing, am I the first to reveal this knowledge? :rolleyes:

bareside1vm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's actually a very nice tidy looking setup, too bad it's not in copper. I've got to get me a bigger case...thinking cap firmly affixed to head now...

jesus h tap-dancing christ!
is it just me or do those ddc bodies look larger? bigger motor or somthing in there? sure would like to know if those pumps spec the same as the ddc we all know.

Didn't know they made G5's with quad processing, knew they were watercooled though.

Ctrl_Alt_Delete said:
jesus h tap-dancing christ!
is it just me or do those ddc bodies look larger? bigger motor or somthing in there? sure would like to know if those pumps spec the same as the ddc we all know.

I think those are molded foam vibration dampners that are molded onto the body to help isolate added vibration from the chassis.

Quad G5 = 2 Dual core G5's or 4 individual processors?

Watercooling on a stock PC, is that something to rave about?

:confused:

R0N1 said:
That's some serious power. :D
just to preface this and make it clear that i'm not anti-mac: i have a 933 G4 and love it. it tears up MPEG2 to MPEG4 encodes with the codecs and apps that i use, at a speed that is competative with my a64.

all the same, mac is using multiple processors in the G5s for the same reason that they did in the G4s: the processors that they are running simply don't scale up well, and trying to make them do so puts out ridiculous heat, making watercooling necessary.

it's a last gasp from a dying product lineup.

three chears for parasitic capacitance! :)

oh, wait, it hurts overclockers as well.....booo..... :(

looks like my university will be upgrading their supercomputer again :rolleyes:

Where is the watercooled x86 Mac?!?

Erasmus354 said:
looks like my university will be upgrading their supercomputer again :rolleyes:

Where is the watercooled x86 Mac?!?
if they had gone w/ AMD instead of Intel they wouldnt even need watercooling for the x86s :p

madmat said:
I think those are molded foam vibration dampners that are molded onto the body to help isolate added vibration from the chassis.
if so then they are major overkill in the size dept. can anyone confirm for sure that it is just vibration dampening and not a larger motor body attached to the ddc impeller and top?
also.. are they jsut using typical coolant in there or somthing like florinert? that copper/Al mix is a bit disturbing. corrosion central.

to be honest that looks like tape around the pumps. It crincles around the corners like tape.

As far as the whole mix of alu and copper deal goes.. I believe it is the alu that gets corroded and deposited on the copper. Those Cu blocks arn't very big, and there is alot of aluminum there, the pipes look alu also. That would take a long time to considerably corrode any single part. Couple that with the fact that there is most likely some serious anticorrosive additives in the coolant, I would think it would be many years before it would become problem.

Back