Sprint

aaronearles

[H]ard|Gawd
What are everyone's experiences like with Sprint? The SERO plans have incredible prices, and I'm really tempted. Verizon's service is perfect, and I know they use the same technology, so that's a plus, vzw is just too expensive for what you're getting.

I recently tried the iPhone with AT&T, loved the phone, but AT&T's service is terrible coming from verizon, and the customer service is a joke - long story.

I'm thinking sprint + treo 700wx, I've always wanted the treo, but never could spring for it, but it's half of the price of the iphone now.

Any thoughts on reception, coverage, prices, and customer service?

Coverage is great , i have the sero plan + a PPC6700 , Customer service is ok just sometimes a few of the reps are idiots but you get that with everyone

for me , 37$ after all taxes , they even threw on phone as a modem for free on my account back when i had a normal flip phone

I have a SERO plan with a Palm Treo 700P. There's no way I would ever give it up for anything else.

What are everyone's experiences like with Sprint? The SERO plans have incredible prices, and I'm really tempted.

Any thoughts on reception, coverage, prices, and customer service?

Sprint's SERVICE has been fine for me. Only fully 3G network out there right now.
The Mogul kicks butt, but have had good luck with Treos (700wx models anyway- the Palm OS ones have given me nothing but problems).

SERO is awesome. I don't use many voice minutes, so I got the 500 minute pack with unlimited text/data, for under $40/month. You just can't beat that- considering the same thing on ATT was over $90.

However- their BILLING/SERVICE has been awful to my personal account (Business with 30 lines I've not had these issues).
It started out when I ordered online. They placed my phone itself under a Sprint account, but all the billing remained under a temporary Nextel account. You can see the problem. I am paying bills to the Nextel account, yet incurring charges on my Sprint account. Since my billing and such is not setup on the Sprint- I have no idea charges are occurring.
So I get collection notices, service disconnects, all this crap before I figure that out- they fix it.

Then my security deposit- same issue. Only after that do they actually close the Nextel account.

With all the credits and such because of all these screwups, NONE of my billing was right on ANY month through December (got it in July). So going back trying to audit and figure out what I paid, what they charged, what was what... was a nightmare.

I finally pulled bank records, gave them the total amount of money I paid them, and compared it to the monthly charges, to see the totals... Only way I could show them how it was jacked up.

It seems to be fixed now, however.

I would suggest if getting something like a Treo, go for the $7/month insurance. On something cheaper like a Razr that can be had for $100, ain't worth it. Treos are upwards of $300-400 ($550 if you get from Sprint) to replace.
$50 deductible is much cheaper than $500.

So my only suggestion of caution is watch the billing... When calling in to activate, might tell them you've had it screwed up before, and to make sure it is all under the same account. Look at the bill the first month.

Thanks for the input, you're liking the Mogul huh? I was just looking at it on the site, I might go that direction instead. I dont like the brick feeling of that style phone, but it says upgradable to EVDO rev. a which is awesome. Can you tell me, is it upgradable now or is it sometime later through a software update?

you can get rev a now , theres 'beta rom' released an my friend uses it & it works fine gps works too now

Does the Mogul have built in GPS? Is that an additional software or something you need for that? Or service?

At any rate I like my Mogul... one of the fastest phones you can buy.

Comes with WM6 as well- good plus over the Treos which are still on WM5.

with the new rom it enables GPS support techie , if you search for it you can find it easily

I love my mogul.
GPS is internal, but until the next rom update isn't officially accessible (leaked rom adds GPS, but it takes, um, a while to get a lock)

If you can spare the keyboard though, the touch triples the available ram, which makes a HUGE difference in usability. Drops most of the buttons as well as the KB and wifi, but the ram makes me go gaga over it. Now if only they would release a CDMA kaiser I would be standing in line on day one.

Im really thinking about getting a Mogul + SERO when I get my tax return... But I am worried that a better pda type phone with keyboard and WM6 will come out soon after my purchase... think that will happen?

TED

I have a treo 700wx through alltel and it sucks. I had a 650 with sprint a while back and liked how responsive it was, but then it started rebooting constantly. I had an emulator and other stuff on it so I just reset it to the factory defaults and it works great. The 700 on the other hand has been very crappy. If I am in a call and someone else calls me and I try to switch over to the other person, it will drop both calls and then call the person back that I was talking to in the first place. Really a weird issue. If someone calls me and it rings more than 4 times and then I try to answer, it hangs up on them. It is very slow in the menus and I haven't added any kind of third party software or anything. There may be a difference between the 700wx from sprint and the one from alltel, but i'm not sure. That is just my problems with the phone.

I use sprint and the coverage is pretty damn good. Only issue is in my apartment and I can understand that. But otherwise the worst part of Sprint is usually customer service, and that you have to wait longer for phones (usually because verizon gets and exclusive contract).

If you have a SERO plan, I would recommend looking up the current number for employee accounts off of sprintusers.com and having them handle your problems. They are considerably more capable of fixing issues than the *2 folks.

... and that you have to wait longer for phones (usually because verizon gets and exclusive contract).
except for the mogul. Which Sprint has had since like july and VZW just picked up.
Or the touch, which sprint has had for a while and VZW is just picking up (eventually).

But in general the phone selection sucks on both. :p

I don't think so... Sprint has pretty decent selection. If you want sucky selection... look at TMobile!!
GSM > CDMA for phone selection, period.
TMob is just fucked as they dont have a 3G service nor (enough) spectrum to add it to their existing lineup.

One of the reasons that VZW is transitioning to GSM (LTE) for their 4G service. Leaving us (sprint peeps) kind've hanging in regard to 4G devices. A single crappier standard might just be better than 2 (or 3?) competing standards of better quality.

Back