Sprint Rumors: Galaxy S2 release date July 24th

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I have heard the release for the Samsung Galaxy S 2 from Sprint would be late July, well seems these rumors are gaining ground;

http://www.talkandroid.com/42977-more-sprint-rumors-galaxy-s2-release-date/

While it’s generally assumed that the S2 will be released in July, in the U.S., Samsung (nor any carrier) has confirmed an actual release date. An old friend-now Sprint Store Manager informed TalkAndroid that there are whispers about a July 24th release date for the Samsung Galaxy S2 going around in the Sprint world.

Interesting how, if valid, the July 24 release date puts it one month after the Evo 3D. It gives 3D buyers a chance to test drive the phone before deciding to trade it in for the S2.

Interesting how, if valid, the July 24 release date puts it one month after the Evo 3D. It gives 3D buyers a chance to test drive the phone before deciding to trade it in for the S2.

I have heard that too, and that Sprint is doing it on purpose for #1 customer satisfaction. If you buy the EVO-3D on June 24th, come back July 24th for a different high end phone.

I have heard that too, and that Sprint is doing it on purpose for #1 customer satisfaction. If you buy the EVO-3D on June 24th, come back July 24th for a different high end phone.

It seems sprint is desperate for customers. An example: friend of mine went with his GF to sprint and each picked up an Evo. His girlfriend dropped hers and shattered the screen the same day. They brought it in and Sprint gave them another brand new Evo. Crazy.

It seems sprint is desperate for customers. An example: friend of mine went with his GF to sprint and each picked up an Evo. His girlfriend dropped hers and shattered the screen the same day. They brought it in and Sprint gave them another brand new Evo. Crazy.

Some would call that outstanding customer service

A friend who's living in Spain texted that he got a GS2 last week and it's the best phone he's ever used. Interesting, since he's an iPhone fanatic.

Some would call that outstanding customer service

I most certainly would. I've never had issues with Sprint customer service when I've needed it.

Now if I could get better 4G signal strength inside buildings, life would be peachy.

I think all U.S. carriers not getting the GS 2 until September now, they want it to go head to head against the iPhone5, plus we are getting a slightly upgraded S2+ version :)

Last edited:
T-Mobile has heard the rumors on our end as well, was suppose to be hitting stores sometime this month but it looks like September as well.

I think all U.S. carriers not getting the GS 2 until September now, they want it to go head to head against the iPhone5, plus we are getting a slightly upgraded S2+ version :)

/sigh

more waiting

and I will be waiting as I'd rather have the phone I want than live for 2 years with one I don't. spec bump will be nice. I just hope the next nexus phone does not come out too close with that rumored 720p s amoled screen.

I have to say though, unless the nexus phone with ice cream comes looking more like the s ii than the nexus s, I think I'd still prefer the s2 design.

I really did not like the htc version of the nexus phone in terms of pure aesthetics. now an sII with a 720p screen would be the ultimate, but that is probably not until the s iii

/sigh

more waiting

and I will be waiting as I'd rather have the phone I want than live for 2 years with one I don't. spec bump will be nice. I just hope the next nexus phone does not come out too close with that rumored 720p s amoled screen.

I have to say though, unless the nexus phone with ice cream comes looking more like the s ii than the nexus s, I think I'd still prefer the s2 design.

I really did not like the htc version of the nexus phone in terms of pure aesthetics. now an sII with a 720p screen would be the ultimate, but that is probably not until the s iii

If you are willing to wait for the S2+ in September, just wait a little longer for the Nexus-Prime, is supposed to be out around November according to rumors, they want it out by Thanksgiving to also compete with the new iPhone.

And the Nexus-Prime will be a little better phone than the S2+, with slightly better hardware, and a much better screen, plus running Android 4.0 from the start.

If you are willing to wait for the S2+ in September, just wait a little longer for the Nexus-Prime, is supposed to be out around November according to rumors, they want it out by Thanksgiving to also compete with the new iPhone.

And the Nexus-Prime will be a little better phone than the S2+, with slightly better hardware, and a much better screen, plus running Android 4.0 from the start.

that's at least 2 more months though. For background, I have no smarphone now, just an lg en v touch, a dumbphone. I am way behind the curve, even got my own mother to upgrade to a smartphone along with her husband. My own MOTHER is ahead of me in the phone arena!!!

It's a freaking embarrassment! Waiting 2 more months is bad enough, but 4 ?

the 100MHz increase in speed (if the rumored speed bump to 1.4GHz on the sii is real) is not enough of a draw, nor is ice cream sandwich (so long as that update comes eventually).

The biggest draw of the next nexus is the higher res screen, that is a pretty massive draw, but honestly I think I'd be fine with the lower res s amoled screen. I just want something that looks great with good color and deep blacks, higher res does not increase that.

If there are leaks of the nexus prime and it looks as thin and attractive as the s2, then maybe I'll wait, but it would take alot for me to continue to wallow in the smartphone dark ages and not step into the light.

I am already expending willpower holding myself back from a standard nexus s 4g (not so much the evo 3d, screen looks washed out to me - deal breaker being a screen quality snob)

I don't mind waiting. In fact, I'm rather enjoying it after getting so fired up for the Evo 3D or Sensation. My choices are coming down to the Nexus, iPhone 5 or Blackberry 9900.

The current Samsung Galaxy S2 is already better than the upcoming iPhone 4GS hardware-wise. Why wait for S2+ or the Nexus Prime for more of the same from Apple?

The current Samsung Galaxy S2 is already better than the upcoming iPhone 4GS hardware-wise. Why wait for S2+ or the Nexus Prime for more of the same from Apple?

well, I could not imagine them releasing anything but the iphone , not that I'd touch an iphone, but for those more open to apple it might be pretty good.

for me the design of the galaxy s ii is akin to something like this

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg

it is inconceivable to my limited mind that it will not age as well as that plane in terms of looks/design

how much thinner can phones get? how much lighter? How much cleaner looking? The only real design improvement is in screen res, not clarity, but res, and there it makes the biggest difference when say reading emails, not looking at images and video.

the iphone 4 design is NOT like that blackbird, it will age and fast, it never was particularly inspired in my view (too small and that silver band around the edge made it look worse and less clean, not better)

I'm still on the sero plan. Might have to switch to a pricier plan when this phone comes out?

There is no s2+

It looks like most of the US is getting the Tegra 2 version, which is by all reports a lesser one so don't let that make you hold off on buying a phone you want now...

There is no s2+

It looks like most of the US is getting the Tegra 2 version, which is by all reports a lesser one so don't let that make you hold off on buying a phone you want now...
If true, that pretty much narrows my choice to the iPhone 5 or Blackberry 9900. I've got no desire to drop $700+ on a GS2 from overseas just to get a non-Tegra version.

Last edited:
There is no s2+

Where did you read that? I read that key markets are getting the exynos version and that the US was part of this.

Where did you read that? I read that key markets are getting the exynos version and that the US was part of this.

I wish someone would cite hard info rather than 5th hand rumors/speculation too.

Things that would completely destroy the galaxy s 2.

-different body aside from minor tweaks like say, the flash placement near the camera.

-no 4g - if the gs2 launches in the US with no hspa+/lte/wimax there is no fucking point. That these speeds are not available everywhere is a USELESS point, it needs to have this to be a flagship class superphone, cheap crap phones can manage to include that so the omission for those who DO live/work in 4g neighborhoods (or where such coverage comes in the future) would be the single dumbest, abominable decision in all histories in human civilization.

-slower performing gs II - this could mean tegra 2 but maybe not. If samsung released a tegra 2 variant that performed similarly to the exynos equipped counterpart (maybe a higher binned tegra 2?) that would be ok. But if one of the KEY draws of the galaxy s 2 was ripped away from it, that being the fact that EVERY phone that sat next to it in performance tests was destroyed and made to look like sluggish, jittery child garbage can phone, it's over.

It does not need to be the fastest phone for the next year, but one of the draws of the phone was that it was shown to be buttery smooth compared to previous andriod phones (and many yet to be released). If they threw that aspect out, what is the f*cking point? It's just a pretty airhead class phone with no brains. Beautiful and sluggish.

If I was an apple guy, I would say the gs2 was like a mbp in speed in the body of a macbook air. If they change it to have the speed of a macbook air in the body of a macbook air... just no.

I don't see why the gsII would need to be crippled in any of the above ways for the US. The phone has been out for months now, with no US release, that means MONTHS of being able to build up stock of components for a US release to meet demand. Maybe not enough supply, so get off your @ss samsung, stop dragging your feet, your tv division is withering on the vine thanks to vizio, phones are your new mainstay, more factories, more s amoled production, how many god damn years is supply going to be constrained? How long does it take to bring enough capacity online? smartphone markets are growing not shrinking, time to put more money and manpower into getting more supplies out there. I assume they are already doing what they need to, but if the US release of the gs ii is crippled it tells us that they are being derelict stewards of that company.

EDIT:

just to showcase what made the gsii special, an effective video that is all you need to see.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_4vijEfQaQ"]‪Galaxy S 2 vs. iPhone, Thunderbolt, Focus (Web Browsing)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Superior. Superior design, performance, screen (many have higher res but the images look so washed out and pathetic to the point of pure technical embarrassment, and god help them when they try to showcase blacks next to the samoled screen, completely outclassed).

It is currently the phone against which all others are measured, it is alpha and omega, beginning and end. If god designed a phone for himself, the gs ii is what it would be (ok maybe with higher res screen and better sound from the headphone jack [reportedly]). When I first discovered the gs II and videos like these, all other phones turned to disgusting, rotting husks of tech, less than.

The idea of them trying to make such an inspired creation and marvel of engineering more like the rat pack that has come before... it would be a total waste.

Last edited:
Alpha and omega?

In less than a year it will be a relic.

It's a phone... not a Stargate.

Alpha and omega?

In less than a year it will be a relic.

It's a phone... not a Stargate.

You sure ?

... yeah.. I think the delay has unhinged me a bit, but the video does all the explaining needed as to why this is the preferred phone compared to the others.

Which is why the phone should be released like now'ish. Lets not forget about the terrible support the gs1 received from samsung, compared to other devices, htc kills then when it comes to updates. Also, are they really sure they want to go toe to toe with apple and their next iphone? WE care about specs but the masses dont. I have a co worker who is very educated, and is leaning towards the next iphone, he is really impressed with android phones, but its about convenience and usability.

I really can't see the update issue being resolved any time soon. Samsung could put out updates THE SAME DAY as Nexus phones and it'll still be held up with carriers. US carriers seem completely content rolling out updates sluggishly and both Google and OEMs don't do a damn thing about it. Google letting carriers have such free reign just continues to give Apple a huge edge to the end user.

Android's been doing great in the past year, but imagine how much better a position it'd be in if updates were not such an issue.

Its a pocket sized computer. People need to stop thinking of smart phones in terms of their telephonic capabilities only. I ain't spending 700$ on something just to make calls.
I ain't spending $700 on a phone.

On a Stargate? Yes.

You sure ?

... yeah.. I think the delay has unhinged me a bit, but the video does all the explaining needed as to why this is the preferred phone compared to the others.

You need to calm down lol. If this thing doesn't get released soon, it'll be a non-issue since newer and better phones will follow shortly.

I'm waiting for the Nexus 3 myself :)

And the video doesn't even compare it to any other dual core phones. Of those phones, ofc the GSII will be much faster, as they're all rocking single core processors. Need a nice comparison w/ the Atrix, Sensation, and Evo 3D.

You need to calm down lol. If this thing doesn't get released soon, it'll be a non-issue since newer and better phones will follow shortly.

I'm waiting for the Nexus 3 myself :)

And the video doesn't even compare it to any other dual core phones. Of those phones, ofc the GSII will be much faster, as they're all rocking single core processors. Need a nice comparison w/ the Atrix, Sensation, and Evo 3D.

I was thinking the same thing...
Kinda like a varsity football player high lite video versus middle schoolers.

When the Apple store does it it's because apple is so cool and hip, but when Sprint does it it's crazy and desperate.

On Sprint you can't go wrong with either the EVO-3D, or Galaxy S2, they are very similar hardware wise, just the screen tech is biggest difference. If like you Sense 3.0 go for the 3VO, if you like TouchJizz get the S2. But at the end of the day, both phones will be kick ass running a pure stock Android ROM like CM 7.

Personally I like the razor thin and lightweight form factor of the Galaxy S2, and the crazy cartoon colors of the S2 is sort of cool to me. But it would need CM 7 on the phone to be truly awesome. But if you don't mind waiting even a bit longer, the Nexus-Prime will be the top dog Android device this year.

Sprint has now become the premier Android carrier this Summer, with the Nexus-S 4G...EVO-3D...Photon 4G...Galaxy S 2...you can't go wrong with any of these sweet phones. The Nexus-S for a single core device running stock Android is surprisingly still a fast little device. I bought my Wife the Nexus-S 4G, and I swear it is on par or sometimes a tad smoother/faster then my EVO-3D, plus the N-S just went on sale for $99, a great price for a good phone, a nice deal to buy and wait for the Nexus-Prime.

Last edited:
Back