Spring '05 Build (supercomputer inside)

slowbiznatch said:
I thought I'd give you guys a heads-up as to what we are building here this spring. We are building 2 identical systems (with some other misc. ones included) of the following specs:

==Small CMUs==
385 1u MSI MS-9245-070 BB systems
770 AMD Opteron 250s
3080 512MB PC3200 DDR400 sticks (8GB per node)
770 WD 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB IDE Hard drives
385 M3F-PCIXD-2 Myrinet Fibre cards
Oh god, I hate those MSI barebones with a passion. They have such terrible cooling, and only like two crappy 40mm fans to cool the whole damn 1u.

edit: where do you work? That looks a whole buch like the place I used to work, wall and all.

Wow, I'm totally impressed. Maybe I can fit one of those in my little apartment

slowbiznatch said:
==RAID==
These are standalone RAID units. Check them out at www.axus.com.tw. Basically there are 6 units, all filled to the brim (except 1 which has 8 drives in it) with 400GB SATA drives (Hitachi). There are 11 sets of 8 drives in RAID5. Each unit is connected (through both ports) to a QLogic 12-port fibre switch. This is a total of 30.8TB through fibre.

Is there a way for mere mortals to buy the Axus stuff? Looks interesting - do they have end-user resellers?

Thanks.

jh

I'm glad you chose a black and red color scheme :p

That room is going to be a cooling nightmare, hope you have great AC and an air filtration system

Wow, Those computers could put out over 260,000 Points Per Day for Folding at home. A five day load test (hint-hint) would put Hardocp back on top against the Australians.

lol I think if we borged that, we could give google a run for their money.

jebus

wow....

just...

yeah... i think she will need atleast a 5-7 day burn in test ya know... lets check out make sure she works...

need anyone to hold ur tools while u work?? i could work for free :)

Yea, you need to Fold for the [H] to burn that thing in. :D

I'm surprised you didnt go for the 252s, considering they've got SSE 3. Perhaps their computational software isnt setup for SSE 3?

i think they are just building it to a set of specs. the specs probably called for 250s, based on price/performance for what they were doing. even with a total cost of $4 million, with that many chips, it'll make a difference. not necessarily a big one, but a difference nonetheless.

very nice, and i'm all for a folding@home torture test period.

Its so beautiful! :eek: I love you. Just... for helping build that...
Any chance of more pics? I'd like to see some pics of an individual system, or if possible, a pictures of one of those racks being assembled. I know that I'm not the only one who would love to see what goes into making one of those. Oh, and I'm throwing in another vote for the F@H break in period. :D

Sorry guys, this will not be folding for anyone until the system is delivered. At that point, the customer can decide if they want to use it for folding. ;)

slowbiznatch said:
Sorry guys, this will not be folding for anyone until the system is delivered. At that point, the customer can decide if they want to use it for folding. ;)
Dont forget to suggest it to them..... about 10 times over.

Where is that located? I sincerely hope that you have taken the necessary precautions with regards to CRAC units, power requirements, ups and generator back up. I would be really mad if 2 x 4mil dollar systems weren't protected perfectly.

Is it going into private Data Center Space or CoLo space. That looks a lot like a managed hosting server farm.

Navy eh? You best not be screwing up that if our defenses rely on it.

Is it called the BinLaden Buster 2000?

slowbiznatch said:
The US Navy will take acceptance to this in a high-security research facility.
I tore down a Navy Trident gidence factory last summer. The thing was made with 286/386's :D
Glad to see they actually are using some new stuff now.
This isn't shipping out to Raytheon is it? My dad(we both work at Raytheon) just spent big $$$ on new stuff at work, but I think they only run Sun systems.
But It would be sweet to see this thing coming in the front door at work.

mikeblas said:
What's a system? The whole shopping list?

What's a CMU ?

.B ekiM
We are selling 2 of these "shopping lists," each can be considered a system because every part of the list is working towards one common goal.

A CMU is a compute node. There are ~500 nodes in each "system."

slowbiznatch said:
Raytheon != US Navy :D
Anyway, its a Naval research lab (one of many).
Raytheon == biggest Navy contractor
90% of Equipment at Raytheon == Navy owned ;)

so how many Amps of juice does that all draw?

Could a couple of hamster's on wheels power it up? :D

Back