Spontanous corruption?

VGplay

Gawd
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
1,009
So today I thought of how to backup my file server, I have a lot of stuff on it that wouldn't be easy to replace. I go to grab something off it right now, and it is reported as corrupted. I look and EVERYTHING is reported as corrupted. I VNC over to its desktop and is greeted by a series of popus saying how "file blah blah is corrupted and I should ChkDsk". Now it just keeps popping up "The file or directory D:is corrupt and unreadable". Shit.

Windows doesn't even let me start a ChkDsk, saying "Windows was unable to complete the disk check". The file structure is still there. Some files still report their actual size, while others do not. There are no malicious processes.

I did two things that I might be able to explain why. First is I copied over a 20gb folder while having a few torrents going, could flooding the network do the trick? The other was accidentally move some files that were being used by uTorrent. They were the first files reported in the series of popups.

Is there anything I can do?

Old IBM Aptiva E96
Pentium II 333mhz
96mb RAM
Kingston PCI Network card
Original loud as a train Quantum BigFoot 8gb HD with Windows and programs on it (everything seems fine)
One year old Seagate 7200.7 200gb PATA (this is the drive with everything corrupt)

EDIT: What the heck? About half of my torrent files are still in tact, as in working.
 
So I restarted. The Chkdsk at bootup deleted almost everything. There's a handful of stuff left and what's there does work. Good thing I grabbed some screenshots of the file structure before I restarted so I know what I used to have. But now I'm afraid to use this drive. Think this occurrence is enough to request an RMA with Seagate?
 
You say screen shot, you mean snapshot so that you can recover your data or something? Because once you use chkdsk with windows, your data is toast.. Good luck! If its really important, get a professional to repair the data on your drive. (They'll have to rebuild the MFT at the very minimum)
 
Nope, literal screenshots of what I had on it. The good thing is, the stuff that would be hard to replace I also had on my main hard drive. Everything else can be easily replaced, but it will take a few weeks.
 
Back
Top