Sponsored ads in Street Fighter 5.

vegeta535

[H]F Junkie
So Capcom is sinking to a new low. With today's update they are pushing in game ads. Sure it can be turned off atm but only a matter of time before it gets forced down our throats. This makes me have no confidence that DMC isn't going to go full retard.

Revenue from microtransactions must have slowed to a trickle.

I don't think they'll remove the option simply because they're giving players an incentive to keep them turned on.

Capcom's Street Fighter team seems to have no idea what they're doing, or they're hemorrhaging money on their Pro Tour. SF5 is both popular and expensive, yet they just keep doing stuff like this. This is on top of charging for literally everything in the game that they can. "Fight money" grinding will net you a couple characters and a background or two, but at this point 1/2 the cast is DLC.

Even though I still kinda like the game, it's probably time to blow it up and start over with a different strategy. Obviously SF6 isn't coming any time soon, but it isn't too late to repackage and re-position SF5. Tough to know for sure, but I believe Sony's exclusivity on the game ends next year, too.

I'm all for ads in games, if done right. By right I mean, in game billboards, soda machines that say pepsi/coke instead of Poopsi/Coka (made up names). So, ads in the background, like in the real world.

But to blast ads in the menu, loading screens, in your face, fuck it. I won't play it.

I'm all for ads in games, if done right. By right I mean, in game billboards, soda machines that say pepsi/coke instead of Poopsi/Coka (made up names). So, ads in the background, like in the real world.

But to blast ads in the menu, loading screens, in your face, fuck it. I won't play it.
I agree if the ads are natural like in sports games and open world games. I can see them artificially extending load screens to push more ads on you. It is still another slipper slope that price publishers will start to abuse tho.

for some reason i always loved add as part of the game enviroment/design where it belongs ins and increase the ambience.
it shouldn't really be that hard to make for devs.

actually I prefer fake ads "poopsi/coka" in games like gta where it's in the background and you don't notice unless you stop and look for it...

otherwise screw ads in games and everywhere really... don't mind disabling adblock for this site and doing patreon or whatever I choose... but normally I play games and use the internet to escape annoying reality, not just re-live it in another form...

The real issue here is that they retroactively added ads into a game you already paid for. It's a paid title, they don't get to add ads later. It's a dangerous precedent, one we can't let slide.

It doesn't matter how annoying the ads actually are, it is the principle that matters. If we don't push back now, it will be late when the real disruptive interrupting ads start to come.

They either make a F2P ad supported game, or they make a paid title, but they can't have it both ways unless they're upfront about it.

One theory that has been tossed around is that the 4th set of DLC characters will be free and that these ads are there to make that possible. If that's the case, I'm okay with it, and I purchased the game and previous DLC's at full price.
If these ads are to finance future content at no charge - I can get behind that.
Thing is, Capcom's previous actions make that seem pretty unlikely to me. They charge for everything in SF5. They keep talking about "fight money" while repeatedly adding content that it can't be applied to. At this point it might as well not even be there unless you only want a handful of characters.

One theory that has been tossed around is that the 4th set of DLC characters will be free and that these ads are there to make that possible. If that's the case, I'm okay with it, and I purchased the game and previous DLC's at full price.
If these ads are to finance future content at no charge - I can get behind that.
Thing is, Capcom's previous actions make that seem pretty unlikely to me. They charge for everything in SF5. They keep talking about "fight money" while repeatedly adding content that it can't be applied to. At this point it might as well not even be there unless you only want a handful of characters.
I'd only support that if the ads were only shown if and when you're playing the 'free' characters.

Capcom Cup is going on this weekend, so whatever their big plans end up being will likely be revealed.
The weird thing about SF5 is that a lot of pro gamers don't like it. Just because you're good at something doesn't mean you like it. There's a very strong sentiment that it was forced upon people who were happy with Ultra SF4 and even SF x Tekken.
You'd think that they would need community support to keep it going, but when you basically force all the big tourneys to feature SF5 instead, that'll do it.

I find the community's sudden nostalgia for SF x Tekken to be weird. I really like that game and feel it never got a fair shake. Now everyone is acting like they enjoyed it (after burying it), too.

...and all we got was Evil Ryu (now named "Kage" ) and some balance changes that actually weaken several of the worst characters in the game.
No mentions of Season 4 content or these ads at all.

Back