• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Splitting my audio output

Avengeance

Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2004
Messages
773
I was wondering if using a splitter on the back of my sound card (audigy 2 zs) would degrade the sound quality at all. I want to be able to run my speakers and headphones without having to go behind my comp and unplug on and plug in the other. Would one of the cheap splitters work or should I go with a higher quality type? I want to make it so the plug is up on my desk so I can easily disconnect my headphones whenever. I am going to be running some sennheiser HD-555's. Open for any suggestions too. Thank you.
 
Avengeance said:
I was wondering if using a splitter on the back of my sound card (audigy 2 zs) would degrade the sound quality at all. I want to be able to run my speakers and headphones without having to go behind my comp and unplug on and plug in the other. Would one of the cheap splitters work or should I go with a higher quality type? I want to make it so the plug is up on my desk so I can easily disconnect my headphones whenever. I am going to be running some sennheiser HD-555's. Open for any suggestions too. Thank you.
Using a Y-splitter means you'll have some attenuation loss. ie. volume.
 
I am gonna be using an amp so that should correct the problem... I was mainly looking at loss of quality, or if some splitters are better than others... I dont want to hear a humm in my headphones is all.
 
Using a Y splitter would not lose anything. If you left the headphones conencted the whole time, you would simply be loading the outputs a little more than without, but they are designed to handle headphone loads. Leaving the splitter connected to the speaker amplifier is such a minor load (10K Ohms vs 30 to 100 Ohms) there will be no measurable loss of signal, and definitely not an audible loss.

Besides the y splitter is not an impedance divider/resistive component, like you are thinking (as in RF splitters, with their 3.5 to 7 to 11.5 db loss in signal strength).
 
Back
Top