Splitting motherboard fan header

Engr62

Gawd
Not sure which forum is best for this question...

I'm getting ready to install a Cryorig H5 Universal cooler on my i7-4770K that's on an ASRock Z87 Pro motherboard. I purchased a second Cryorig CR-XTA slim 140mm fan to mount on the fin stack in a push/pull configuration. The motherboard has 1x 4-pin PWM fan header for the CPU, 2x 4-pin PWM chassis fan headers, and 2x 3-pin fan headers.

The two 4-pin PWM chassis fan headers will be used for four case fans using splitters. So, I'd like to use the remaining 1x 4-pin PWM CPU fan header with a splitter for the two 140mm fans on the H5.

I can't find the allowable current for my motherboard's 4-pin PWM fan headers anywhere. It seems most headers allow 0.8 to 1.2A based on multiple sources (although I can't find the information for my specific motherboard). The four case fans (120mm) have a draw of 0.33A each, so I think I'll be safe using a splitter for two of these per chassis fan header even if the header can only provide 0.8A.

But, I can't find the draw of the Cryorig CR-XTA slim 140mm fans anywhere. Is it generally safe to connect two 140mm fans to one header via a splitter, or am I about to release the smoke from my motherboard?

all boards can handle at least 1a some go up to 2a. so play it safe and you gtg.

Thanks. Playing it safe is what I'm hoping to do. Without knowing the power draw of the Cryorig CR-XTA slim 140mm fan, I guess the only safe thing to do is to only use one fan and forgo the push/pull set up.

i am certain only delta and san ace fans actually pull +1 amp.

2 140 mm fans should be fine.

^that is true. ive only seen a handfull of fans that pull over .5a, mainly delta screamers. 2 fans are safe for sure and that slim fan is most likely .2a or less.

Back