Splitting bandwidth

Kasher_Khan

Limp Gawd
We have 100MB Verizon fiber at our office. What I'd like to be able to do is to split this bandwidth equally between two office zones (different projects). We have a Cisco 2951 Router, Cisco 3750G switches and Cisco ASA 5515 firewalls in our config. Is there a good way to split this bandwidth? and what device level would it be best to do this at. The ISP router is unmanaged.

this isn't ideal but you could put a bridge on the network (split the physical wires behind it) and shape it side to a max of 50mb...

For example: I use a UBNT NS and bridge the NICs for firewall use before going into a switch. I could seperate the traffic before hitting the first switch and still use the same subnets as long as I'm behind my router.

Again, not ideal. But good for 5 minutes worth of work.

Setup two subnets either via SVIs or seperate interfaces and apply QOS policies to each subnet.

Cisco has a lot of examples in their online documentation.

Most modern routers are capable of doing this. As /usr/home said you're looking for QOS. Usually you would set a 1:1 ratio between the two QOS groups, which would equally divide the bandwidth during peak times, ensuring at least 50mbps to each group. During non-peak times you'd ideally allow each group to burst up to the link's maximum throughput.

The easiest way to divide the groups is into different subnets, but there are other ways too if that's not convenient.

Back