• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Splitting a HDMI signal

dar124

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Messages
2,311
Looking for a bit of advice here from the forum. My brother has his PC connected to a 24" (or so) widescreen monitor with a HDMI cable, but he wants to occasionally watch things from the PC on the TV in his room. The TV is close enough that he can run another HDMI cable to it, but there is only 1 HDMI out from the PC. I dont think that having to always unplug and plug the HDMI cables in is the answer.

I did a quick google search and found:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Splitter-Premium-Cable/dp/B000FMJLQC

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8153&seq=1&format=2

I wanted to get some other opinions from the forum. Hoping this in the correct forum, I also posted in the HTPC forum. Thanks in advance.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does he need audio to both. Becasue if the PC has a DVI and HDMI, you can use a DVI-HDMI cable or adapter to get video to one of them without audio.
 
Agree with above post, and since you are not running super high resolutions either connection method works fine as they're both digital.
 
Does he need audio to both. Becasue if the PC has a DVI and HDMI, you can use a DVI-HDMI cable or adapter to get video to one of them without audio.


I'm pretty sure the PC is a PowerSpec B633. Below is an image of the back of the PC.

I'm thinking that he woluld need audio to both, but I'll check to be sure.

If not they I guess he could use the VGA connection for the monitor and run the HDMI over to the TV. But if he does that, how would you switch between them?? Would it be as simple as leaving both connected and when he wanted to watch something on the TV, just change the TV input to HDMI and turn the PC monitor off??


De%2527s%2520PC.jpg
 
I'm not sure a splitter cable will work at higher resolutions with audio, you may need an active splitter...

http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Powere...&qid=1345092455&sr=8-5&keywords=hdmi+splitter

...but I would think a cheap HDMI video card would be better....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...DeactivatedMark=False&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

I use this card for HDMI audio (basically it's my sound card) to my reciever, very solid card...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130605
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top