splitting a connection(?)

SooperTool

Limp Gawd
got a question for you guys. my apt here at school comes with ethernet connection as part of rent. i believe im connected to a router through a dhcp connection (?) at any rate i'm building a second pc and am wondering if i can split this connection to my 2 pc's. The idea is i want to use my older pc as my downloading/internet box and the main for gaming htpc.

any ideas or thougths woul dbe appreciated.

thanx

You could try jusin just a hub. MAYBE you will pick-up a second IP. Chances you won't though. your rent would prolly havta be adjusted. If you get a router (or build one) then hooking up more puters is a snap

you probably need a router with mac address cloning.. then put the mac that is on your nic into the router... at least at the school i went to that was they only way because they only let comptuers with registered nics on the network...

or you could put a 2nd network card in one of the comptuers and then set it up with ICS (internet connection sharing) bu tthen it would have to be on for the other comptuer to access the net through it..

a router is probably your best bet.. you should be able to get it to work one way or another..

how did they set you up? did you connect your comptuer and it worekd? or was there a screen when you first got on where you had to fill out info like your student id #, ssn, or something to that extent?

Of course, you could also ask the IT dept at your school -- they won't have to guess about the situation like we will.

lomn75 said:
Of course, you could also ask the IT dept at your school -- they won't have to guess about the situation like we will.

He's in an apt at school so calling the school's IT dept won't do a lick of good.

I'd just plug a switch or hub in. I'll bet their DHCP server will just give you an additional IP and you'll be on your way. Even if you ask your landlord type person he/she won't know what the hell you are talking. Just don't abuse it and I doubt you will have a problem.

Party2go9820 said:
He's in an apt at school so calling the school's IT dept won't do a lick of good.
I got the impression of school-owned apt, since it's wired for ethernet.

If that's not the case, though, then the above suggestions are good.

yeah sorry i wasnt clear. i live in an off campus apt, while attending school. the apts rent cost includes utilities, ethernet , etc.

and yes, i just plugged my computer in and set autodetect ip and everything worked great.

so, i'll try a router/switch see how it goes.

btw do all routers have mac address cloning, like your standard linksys yadda yadda yadda?

thanks guys

SooperTool said:
yeah sorry i wasnt clear. i live in an off campus apt, while attending school. the apts rent cost includes utilities, ethernet , etc.

and yes, i just plugged my computer in and set autodetect ip and everything worked great.

so, i'll try a router/switch see how it goes.

btw do all routers have mac address cloning, like your standard linksys yadda yadda yadda?

thanks guys

Not all of them, and most won't publicly show that on the box. Best to research on the interweb to make sure.

Back