Split the watercooling forum?

Should we split the watercooling forum into two camps much like the Video card forum?

• Split the forum into High and Low Flow.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Split the forum into domestic and import.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Forget it as it makes the place interesting.

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • Just ban the trolls.

Votes: 42 41.2%
  • Why can't we all just all get along as watercoolers?

Votes: 50 49.0%

• Total voters
Voted for all options that I agree with. High/low, bye bye troll, and getting along.

Although high flow/low flow might solve it, if a topic ever comes in between the 2, and people start flaming like crazy, it wouldn't really solve any of the problems. Banning the "trolls" though would mean banning a lot of people with signifcant knowledge to watercooling, just some might prefer one thing over another...

Bbq said:
...High/low, bye bye troll...

Now that sentence has got class. You should add it to your sig.
flag_lol.gif

Added and enjoyed :D I knew having a sister who has an English major was good for something :p Always forcing me to learn gooder english.

Hexus0 said:
Although high flow/low flow might solve it, if a topic ever comes in between the 2, and people start flaming like crazy, it wouldn't really solve any of the problems. Banning the "trolls" though would mean banning a lot of people with signifcant knowledge to watercooling, just some might prefer one thing over another...

Import vs Domestic might be interesting, but I do think it adds to the flavor of this forum to having it together. We can always add or remove users from the twit list as needed. Trolling is okay if you mean to poke a little fun on occassion IMHO, but the problem is the mean spirited ones who make personal attacks and seem to go out of their way to cause strife in this forum. BTW, I am not speaking in reference to DFI Dashi, MadMat, or Erasmus354 in case you were wondering. Though sometimes I want to throw an ethereal dagger at that bunch on occassion. ;)

i think splitting the forum would be like having the two teams in a football game play on separate fields. boring and pointless.

Hate to see these forums get divided further. It's just going to make the opinions of some even stronger if you draw sides.

Take a look at the forums that are already divided. ATI vs nVidia and Intel vs AMD, say the 'wrong word' and you're guaranteed a troll will take advantage. And it really makes it more difficult for newer members who have to decide right when they arrive, low flow or high flow?
And anyway, many of us who don't have an opinion don't have time to frequent two seperate threads.

But I don't think it's necessary to ban trolls either. Trolls don't get away with anything in large forums like these. :p Remember, if you can spot a troll, you can squash him.

There really needs to be a good FAQ section of these forums...lets face it, the same question probably gets asked 4 times a week.

Who wants to bet that on the first page of the watercooling forums at any given time, you will find a thread about loop order, what is the best block, what coolant to use, what size or type of tubing to use.

There are probably more common questions but those were at the top of my head.

I dont think we should split the forum, for the same reason mentioned above that it forces new people to make a choice right away before they really know what they want. I think the problems here have largely diminished over the past few months. The "main" players have all pretty much come to a middle ground. I know I try my best to express my views, give advice that is pertinent to the posters, while trying not to offend others/start an unnecessary argument. Most other people do the same. The problem is the occasional poster who just doesn't know any better.

If everyone would just not give any credence to these people they really wouldn't be a problem either. The problem is that when a new person comes along and pointlessly flames or trolls a thread, the people who feel strongly about that group feel the need to make 20 subsequent posts insulting the troll/refuting what he/she said. Instead of doing this, just dont respond. If everyone ignored these comments the threads would not get cluttered, off topic, and ruined. At least that is the way I see things. Trolls are bad, but people need to be not quite so sensitive and allow comments to roll off their shoulders. If you dont feel the need to constantly defend yourself, your gear, or the stuff you like then it wont be nearly as bad.

Erasmus354 said:
IThe "main" players have all pretty much come to a middle ground. I know I try my best to express my views, give advice that is pertinent to the posters, while trying not to offend others/start an unnecessary argument. Most other people do the same. The problem is the occasional poster who just doesn't know any better.

Yes I agree as I usually look at the OP and if it starts out with something like "I am planning on using some typical high flow device or use 7/16" tubing" I just by-pass it for something that would help out more as I can't answer all posts and there are others more eminently qualified to speak on the subject so they can have at it. :D

I just hate to bother the mods about sniggling stuff that isn't a real emergency, but is nonetheless annoying.

I really don't see this as being an issue. There are those who refuse to accept the way either camp prefer to do things (this is happening on both fronts, I assure you), but I don't feel the "shit" has escalated to the point of dividing the forums.

This is not ProCooling. This forum needs to remain a place where those who don't understand the classifications can ask questions and get fairly prompt replies. The Water Cooling forum is (in its basic hierarchy) a subforum of a subforum of a subforum - I don't really feel like we need to add additional subforums nor split one subform into two.

There are some individuals here that I've noticed repeatededly taking advantage of the "Daddy, I need help!" button without real cause, but that's a seperate issue.

High/Low arguments are hilarious! Keep the forum together, or it will become a very serious and boring place. Everybody takes themselves too seriously already.

Here's a joke:

One night a police officer was staking out a particularly rowdy bar for possible DUI violations. At closing time, he saw a fellow tumble out of the bar, trip on the curb, and try his keys in five different cars before he found his. Then he sat in the front seat fumbling around with his keys for several minutes. Everyone else left the bar and drove off. Finally he started his engine and began to pull away. The police officer was waiting for him. He stopped the driver, read him his rights and administered the Breathalyzer test. The results showed a reading of 0.0. The puzzled officer demanded to know how that could be.The driver replied, "Tonight I'm the designated decoy."

Personal attacks are one thing, but opinion's are just like ***holes: everyone has one and they are entitled to it.:) Spirited disussion/opinions are what makes the [H] fun to peruse. It would seem that, tho, that opinions are sometimes perceived as personal attacks.

Anyway, the easiest way to cut down trolling is simply ignore their posts.

In other words, don't troll the trollers. You don't need to fuel the flames.

Jim

what about high/low performance flow has less to do with performance than anything like block design

If we could all agree to disagree without baiting each other I think things would go swimmingly. Seriously though, if you're just teasing when you post something a ;) or a :D would make it so much easier to avoid ruffled feathers than just stating what you consider a joke and letting it drop. On a forum it's hard to tell that you were grinning when you posted something ;)

Top Nurse said:
BTW, I am not speaking in reference to DFI Dashi, MadMat, or Erasmus354 in case you were wondering. Though sometimes I want to throw an ethereal dagger at that bunch on occassion. ;)
thanks, i'm glad to know that even if we very rarely agree (VERY rarely) we can at least keep the discussion informed and topical at this point.

as for daggers, swords are MUCH more fun to play with. :) http://www.filehigh.com/viewgallery.php?f=1643 (no, this is not me)
then again, this is probably way to "bigger is better" oriented to be your speed. :D

mashie said:
If Kyle and the admins see a need to split the forum they will do it, this poll will not change anything.

And considering mota here is an admin he had brought it up if he saw the need.

Well sometimes things get done as an outpouring of public need, thus this poll. This has come up a lot from various people so I figured it might be interesting to see which way the wind is blowing. :)

How about if you don't own the product, just don't bother posting in a thread unless it is a question?

This would remove the typical "your stuff sucks even though I've never seen/used said product" or the "well my garden hose can spray further than yours so I must perform better".

That would work great! If the mods bought into that we could all have fun and there would be more civility here. However, I think it is asking too much of our mods to police the place and who would be the arbiter of what people have actually owned.

I think MadMat's idea would be the best where we just use the twit filter everytime someone pushes our buttons.

R1ckCa1n said:
How about if you don't own the product, just don't bother posting in a thread unless it is a question?

This would remove the typical "your stuff sucks even though I've never seen/used said product" or the "well my garden hose can spray further than yours so I must perform better".
But by this reasoning, we would never be able to discuss anything new that comes out :p

We just need to focus less on sniping each other on their views, and more on actually answering people's questions and discussing new products without bias. That's why I haven't been posting in this forum much in the last few months, because not too much worthwhile has come out to discuss, and there have been few actual questions or original ideas posted.

ikellensbro said:
But by this reasoning, we would never be able to discuss anything new that comes out :p

We just need to focus less on sniping each other on their views, and more on actually answering people's questions and discussing new products without bias. That's why I haven't been posting in this forum much in the last few months, because not too much worthwhile has come out to discuss, and there have been few actual questions or original ideas posted.

We would be able to discuss lots of new things like this Turboplex as NO one has it. I think the real problem is that people sometimes think that their way is the righteous way and therefore anything less will not accomplish the goals intended. When people automatically dismiss AC and other import gear simply because it has smaller tubing based on their facts and figures it simply causes problems when the people who have these systems know better.

All the current higher end systems seem to work just as well within the framework of what they are intended to do. Some may cool a few degress better or worse, but the net effect doesn't seem to translate into anything perceptible in the use of the computer. IOW, the sum of the parts doesn't always equal the simple addition of components. For instance this TurboPlex USB device doesn't appear to be much when looked at in the manner of low flow or tubing size. However, the design appears to the key issue here and I don't think it would be possible to use a high flow pump simply based on the space constraints. Not to say that it might not work better with a higher flow pump device. ;)

ac_banner.jpg

I wonder. It's edited :( I will not be complete without it

My low flow and A-C post was the very same question, that's why I asked Mashie if that made him happy.

I honestly think it's fine for now. I selected to leave it alone in the Poll...but If I had a definitive say in things, I'd actually like to have it split between CPU/system watercooling and video card watercooling. Not to try to "clean things up"...but to make it easier to look through recent posts if you're after something specific.

cornelious0_0 said:
I honestly think it's fine for now. I selected to leave it alone in the Poll...but If I had a definitive say in things, I'd actually like to have it split between CPU/system watercooling and video card watercooling. Not to try to "clean things up"...but to make it easier to look through recent posts if you're after something specific.

Now that makes a lot of sense. :)

Back