Split Ethernet cable - Hub or Switch?

ryansebiz

Limp Gawd
My cable modem and router are downstairs. I have a cat 6 utp ethernet cable running upstairs to my computer.

I just bought an Xbox 360 and need to get it online as well. Should I buy a hub or switch to "split" the upstairs ethernet cable to my PC and 360?

I have cat utp 6 ethernet cables and crossover cables to use.

Switch. If you can even find a hub, you'll see that the price difference is usually in favor of switches now a days anyway.

It's almost difficult to find a hub anymore (i.e. off a shelf in a store) They basically do the same thing.. (give you more ports) A switch is better though. A hub sends traffic out to all ports, where a switch sends it to the correct port. More efficient.

Either will work for what you want to do, but just get a switch and be happy.

Thanks fellas. Will I be able to use cat 6 utp cables or will I need to use the crossovers?

This Linksys switch is $15 after rebate. Should I get it or do I need a Gigabit 10/100/1000 switch?

For what you specified, gigabit would be a waste. Cat6 and crossover are independant of each other. You can have crossover cat6 cables, just like cat5.

Cat6 will be fine, and you will not have to have any crossovers if you are going device to switch.

I just picked up a bunch of the Netgear GS105 5 port 10/100/1000 switches for $32 each. they're the blue ones with the nice metal case and very very small - about 50% larger than a deck of cards. I think Netgear products with the blue metal cases have a 5 year warranty too vs. the cheaper plastic ones.

Nowadays, the only time you would want a hub vs. a switch would be to sniff network traffic if you don't have a switch that does port mirroring.

Riley

Back