Split a JBOD array, data gone. :(

toric334

Weaksauce
I had a 120 and 300 gb Maxtors running in a JBOD on my KV8 PRO. Having now upgraded to an NF4 board, the disk is now shown as unformatted.

Now before I begin to cry and send this disk somewhere, is there anything I can do?

try stuff like GetDataBack (runtime.org) or put it back on the JBOD controller.

you can try connecting it back the way it was and pray. The original config might work to get the data accessible.

Good Luck !

did you have it in raid 0, 1 or 5 ?

uh... i guess i'm the only one that understood what you said...

but either way, just put them back on the old controller and get the data off and format them again on the new one. obviously you didn't have them set to jbod, or else it would work...

Why'd you use a JBOD in the first place?

Because I just wanted to disks to be seperate, and I thought (at the time) it was the way to do it.

I've formatted the 120gb disk for use on my Infinity NF4X, so hooking them both back and formatting again may work?

try stuff like GetDataBack (runtime.org) or put it back on the JBOD controller.

I do have a program that can retrive stuff from broken disks, but this 300 isn't show in My Computer, just in Disk Management; would the program be able to find the disk?

I've formatted the 120gb disk for use on my Infinity NF4X, so hooking them both back and formatting again may work?

You dont understand how aJBOD works.
All the data of where the files are is kept on the first disk.
Just the files are spread on all the disks.
If the 120gb drive was the first drive then you've formated it then the file table is gone and windozes has no info on where the files are on the second drive, thats why it shows up as unformated.

You need to try stuff like GetDataBack (runtime.org) to see if it can find any files on that disk.
Depending on how fragmented it was & how many fragments where on the fromated disk will depend on how much data you can recover.

Luck ............... :D

I do have a program that can retrive stuff from broken disks, but this 300 isn't show in My Computer, just in Disk Management; would the program be able to find the disk?
I would think that a "good" data recovery tool would be able to work with physical disks, i.e. as long as the bios sees the disk, the program should be able to try and read it.

uh... i guess i'm the only one that understood what you said...
but either way, just put them back on the old controller and get the data off and format them again on the new one. obviously you didn't have them set to jbod, or else it would work...
Nope, you're the only one who *didn't* understand.

Long as they showed as one drive letter (without fancy tricks inside windows for mounting one inside the other) the data is unsusable on a different controller. If you haven't formatted, or used either disk, you should be able to put them back in the old computer and backup the data.

You know when we say RAID is not a backup solution? This is the kind of reason why. Most things are very controller dependant.

Back