Split a connection without a router?

Mr. K6

Supreme [H]ardness
Sorry if there's a thread on this somewhere, I gotta run but wanted to post this so I could get some answers :D. Basically my friend has a cable modem and the family PC hooked up to it. He has a laptop and wants a conn in his room. We have 50ft of Cat5E cable. Is there anyway to splice the connection so both computers can access the internet? Thanks alot guys.

or

if the cable modem has usb, hook usb to the 1 comp, and laptop to ethernet...dosent work on all modems

or do the same thing,,,comp to usb, then use the nic on the comp to hook to the laptop with internet sharing

Oh yah, forgot to add that we have to do this the ghetto fab way cause he doesnt have money for a router (just bought the laptop) :D

hmmm... I think Dell LAN cards come with two ports for internet connection sharing, I'll check that out. If not, I know the modem definitely has a USB connection too, so I'll try it that way. Thanks alot guys.

Mr. K6 said:
Oh yah, forgot to add that we have to do this the ghetto fab way cause he doesnt have money for a router (just bought the laptop) :D

hmmm... I think Dell LAN cards come with two ports for internet connection sharing, I'll check that out. If not, I know the modem definitely has a USB connection too, so I'll try it that way. Thanks alot guys.

Most likely a LAN card with dual ports will cost more than a router... which can be had for like, $25.

might be able to get a router/modem from isp company for free... i know it is crappy idea but what can ya do?

Just grab another NIC, stick it in the pc, and enable ICS. Then just make that 50Ft cable a crossover cable, and your all set. The main pc has to always be on for the laptop to be able to connect (obviously) :D . Its the cheapest way. (NICs come dirt-cheap)

In the family pc(host) put in another NIC card($10) and enable ICS on the Nic card connected to the modem. Connect the new nic to a nic in your lappy with a crossover cable(cat 5 with two of the wires switched). This can share internet. ICS.

Edit: Oops, didnt see the previous post... I'll leave this post cause it has an ICS link....

Mr. K6 said:

He doesn't have 20 bucks? Tell to skip lunch for 2 or 3 days.

go to the FS/FT forum and post:

WTB: Cheap Router

And I'm sure someone can sell you a used router they have upgraded from.

Seriously man, basic routers are cheaper than a decent dinner these days.

lol, I had no idea. I suppose $10 isnt bad at all :p. Ideally it would be great to get a wireless router so that he could take advantage of his wireless, however he's going to have to wait for that. I'll try the USB/Ethernet combined attempt first, and if that doesn't work I'll go for FS/FT forum. Thanks alot for all the info guys :cool:

keep looking for wireless.. i got a 54mb/s wireless at&t from compusa online for $20.. my dad got eth 108mb one for $30 a week later or so..

or spend $10 on a wired one.. either way...

Back