Splinter Cell Speech Stuttering

fromage

[H]ard|Gawd
Playing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, I'm having problems with the sound. When random guys speak to each other, the first letter of each sentence is repeated. Or even when Sam's talking, it does the same thing.

The exact same problem here:
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/954105331/m/2181059763/r/6081038873
^ was the only example I've manage to find, it's the exact same problem, only I don't have access to another sound card.

But disabling sound acceleration sounds like a bad idea, in my opinion. I have the latest nVidia nForce4 drivers, which include the Realtek AC'97 onboard drivers. Sounds work fine in Far Cry, HL2, and Fear, but not for Splinter Cell. It's annoying, because Splinter Cell is the game I'm playing now. :(

I hate to bump my own thread, but it's fallen off the face of the world.

I SUMMON THIS THREAD TO RISE!!!! RISE GOD DAMN YOU!!! RISE@!!!!

same problem. only the speech. every first word is stuttering. titanium hd with eax enabled all other sounds are fine(as far as I can tell).

* - setting alchemy to 15ms buffer length fixed all speech impediments. Huzzah!

Last edited:
It doesn't directly address the issue but you could try pass sound through the onboard while playing this specific game, if it is a compatibility issue related to hardware.

Otherwise -
1) Drivers updated?
2) If using Vista/7/8 are you using Creative Alchemy?
3) Can you disable acceleration and/or EAX and other features?
4) Do you have any codec packs installed?

If you are using ALchemy on a Vista/7/8 machine, try increasing the the length of the sound buffer in ~20ms increments and see if the problem goes away. I believe the default buffer length in the OpenAL wrapper is 25ms, which may be too short for older audio hardware, or too short period. If you're running the game in Windows XP... sorry, can't help you there :(.

I SUMMON THIS THREAD TO RISE!!!! RISE GOD DAMN YOU!!! RISE@!!!!

same problem. only the speech. every first word is stuttering. titanium hd with eax enabled all other sounds are fine(as far as I can tell).

holy shit what a thread revival.

funny part i just recently played thru chaos theory recently. it worked fine for me, but i have since a much newer computer then a a64 x2 s939 system lol sorry i cant help you. i think it was eax that wasnt working right

It doesn't directly address the issue but you could try pass sound through the onboard while playing this specific game, if it is a compatibility issue related to hardware.

Otherwise -
1) Drivers updated?
2) If using Vista/7/8 are you using Creative Alchemy?
3) Can you disable acceleration and/or EAX and other features?
4) Do you have any codec packs installed?

1. yup
2. yup
3. yup
4. yup

lol where's the sesame street aliens when you need em.

If you are using ALchemy on a Vista/7/8 machine, try increasing the the length of the sound buffer in ~20ms increments and see if the problem goes away. I believe the default buffer length in the OpenAL wrapper is 25ms, which may be too short for older audio hardware, or too short period. If you're running the game in Windows XP... sorry, can't help you there :(.
I'm gonna try this before I disable eax because I've tried a/b'ing with and without and hardware eax has literally twice as much sound effects going on vs the regular audio. Not to mention the 3d positioning is better. Audio cues are 50% of my stealth experience.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure when you say "yup" if that means you've tried some of those or not.

Well I'd try disabling first, since that would be quick, as that would help to the isolate the issue.

Regarding the codec packs, from what I remember there would be a conflict with certain games and I believe the FFDshow filter (if that is part of your codec pack), which you can fix by setting an exception. Are you watching something actually requiring codec packs? Vista+ is not as reliant on codec packs anymore compared to XP.

ok ya that actually sounds quicker as I was gonna just play back n forth with alchemy settings but isolating the problem sounds better. As far as codec packs a few months ago I installed the k-lite pack to play some raw file or something off someones camera. It worked to play the file but I haven't had any problems with audio til now. It's not game breaking but it does break immersion a bit when every other sentence is "f-fisher, that was a civilian!" or "f-fisher, be discrete!" lol

OK. Armenius led me on a trail to fiddle with alchemy settings and yes that worked. Only in the opposite direction. I put the buffer at 15ms and voila, all npc's and sam fisher have magically lost their speech impediments. :D Ty Sir!

Last edited:
Back