DemonEater
n00b
- Joined
- Aug 17, 2004
- Messages
- 12
A tale of two systems...
I'm in the process of assembling a second box from spare parts. I just bought a PS - Antec Smartpower 2.0 350w. The PS in my current main system is a 300w Turbo-Cool or something that came with my case. It has been a fine PSU so far, running both my old Athlon and my current P4 2.4 for years without a hitch or lockup yet.
I would LIKE to swap the newer, nicer, more powerful, quieter PS into my main system, but of the three drive connector cables, one is SATA, where on the old one all three are old-style PATA. I don't have any SATA drives, so that cable would become useless in my current system, and everything would get plugged into the other two.
What I can't make out is if it's preferable to have all my stuff (two optical drives, hard drive, 5900 Ultra, and two case fans) connected to three cables on a 300w psu, or two cables on a 350w. Are the drive cables seperate with finite amounts of power on each, or does each provide as much as needed up to the max of the PSU?
Should I just subscribe to the if it ain't broke don't fix it school on this one, at least until I buy an SATA-capable MB and drives?
Thanks a ton in advance.
I'm in the process of assembling a second box from spare parts. I just bought a PS - Antec Smartpower 2.0 350w. The PS in my current main system is a 300w Turbo-Cool or something that came with my case. It has been a fine PSU so far, running both my old Athlon and my current P4 2.4 for years without a hitch or lockup yet.
I would LIKE to swap the newer, nicer, more powerful, quieter PS into my main system, but of the three drive connector cables, one is SATA, where on the old one all three are old-style PATA. I don't have any SATA drives, so that cable would become useless in my current system, and everything would get plugged into the other two.
What I can't make out is if it's preferable to have all my stuff (two optical drives, hard drive, 5900 Ultra, and two case fans) connected to three cables on a 300w psu, or two cables on a 350w. Are the drive cables seperate with finite amounts of power on each, or does each provide as much as needed up to the max of the PSU?
Should I just subscribe to the if it ain't broke don't fix it school on this one, at least until I buy an SATA-capable MB and drives?
Thanks a ton in advance.