Spirit Jailbreak Released

tsuehpsyde

Supreme [H]ardness
http://spiritjb.com/

Jailbreaks pretty much everything out right now, including the iPad. :) 3.1.2/3.1.3/3.2 iPhone OS, and it allows untethered jailbreaking of new iPhone 3GSes and iPod Touches. And the iPad, obviously.

One note: this is not an unlock tool so... it just Jailbreaks and opens the device up for other things; you'll still be locked into whatever carrier you currently have (on the iPhones).

Well that was easy. Jailbroke my iPad in like 2 seconds. I'm kind of afraid to install anything off Cydia though due to all of the "things might not work because we're not really used to the iPad" warnings...

what I would really like is a console program that would let me login as root and edit the /etc/hosts file on the ipad. As a web developer it would be great to be able to test pages on the iPad using my internal dev environment and not having to deploy them to live HTTP URLs...

Meh, the MobileTerminal app crashes immediately on start, and it looks to be iPod sized. I'm sure the hacking community will catch up quickly--I'm shocked it was this easy to jailbreak in the first place. I'll be patient for now :)

Cool OpenSSH works just fine, just SSH'ed in and changed my account passwords. It's cool to see the directory structure the device is using. And I can edit my hosts file!

Last edited:
Did it last night to my iPad, I wish there was a place to go inside Cydia that was strictly iPad apps, or they diversified cydia into iphone/ipod touch and then an iPad side.

Worked like a charm on my iPad and backgrounder works but unfortunately proswitcher and krikae both crash. Hopefully more iPad apps come soon.

This is great news. You have to remember though- the iPad is basically running the same core OS as the iPhone. It shouldn't be that difficult to jailbreak.

Just tried this on my 3.1.3 iPhone -- I didn't try initially because this firmware was previously thought to be un-jailbreak-able. Well it worked great. I can't believe it, really. This is an awesome piece of code!

BTW Apple just released iPhone OS 3.3 ... hmm, wonder why...

This jailbreak has been hands down the easiest I've ever done. I thought I would have to wait until 4.0 to jailbreak my new 3GS but I'm glad I only had to wait 2 weeks :)

Right click on the spirit.exe icon - put in windows 98 compatibility mode and try again.

Wow man, that was so darned easy to apply a Jailbreak.. thank you so much.

Now, what app lets me change those bloody horrible Apple SMS and email tones ?

Right click on the spirit.exe icon - put in windows 98 compatibility mode and try again.

Yeah that doesn't want to work either :-(

I get:

"the ordinal 2760 could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBEAY32.dll"

Yeah that doesn't want to work either :-(

I get:

"the ordinal 2760 could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBEAY32.dll"

Do you have your ipad hooked up to your PC and itunes can see it?

Do you have your ipad hooked up to your PC and itunes can see it?

its an iPhone first of all, running 3.1.3, and yes it is hooked up to my PC and I have the newest version of iTunes and it sees it just fine.

Worked just fine for me on iPod Touch 3.1.3. For the poster above, Installous works fine for me.

Yeah as far as I can tell, there is no discernible reason why it just gives this error sometimes.

That's a weird error, if it was me, I would restore the phone to all factory settings and try again. Or try it on a different PC. Make sure iTunes isn't open when performing the jailbreak.

Yeah I am going to try it on a different computer on my lunch break, if that doesn't work, I may try restoring it, but I may just say fuck it.

I tried googling the error and it seems to have something to do with wireless settings? Best of luck.

Damn, that was easy! Spirit worked great for my 3GS 3.1.3. This definitely eases my distaste for my iPhone (more specifically, AT&T). I'm still jumping to the Evo this summer.

I like how it works with 3.1.3. Also 3.1.3 was never considered unbreakable it's just that it wasn't worth the time to do it for geohotz or dev team since all it did was break jailbreak and added no features. The JB community is awesome!

Just thought I would update.

On my lunch break I went to my home computer, same operating system (windows 7 x64 ultimate), and it worked perfectly. Now the only thing I can think of is that my home computer is the one that I originally synced my iPhone with, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Nice, I've had the battery reporting bug since the end of last summer. It will be good to upgrade.

thanks for the heads up

When I use Spirit to jailbreak my Ipod touch, does it install Cydia??

Worked in seconds on my 3gen itouch 3.1.3. Lovin' it.

What themes and stuff are you all using? I've found one that I kinda like, but I'd love to find one cleaner and better looking. I'm just looking for ideas..

UNTETHERED JAILBREAK?

kick ass

I have one of the new iphones that has to be jailbroken again to reboot it. I'll give this a shot later.

Worked in seconds on my 3gen itouch 3.1.3. Lovin' it.

What themes and stuff are you all using? I've found one that I kinda like, but I'd love to find one cleaner and better looking. I'm just looking for ideas..

Alit theme:
IMG_0022.png

SBSettings:
IMG_0021.png

LockInfo (Can't get any of the addons to work. Normally it would have a clock, calendar, and weather):
IMG_0015.png

Font: Cydia won't load. Don't know the name. XD

Last edited:
Amazing how many people think that "Jailbreaking" automagically implies wrongdoing... that it's only useful for installing pirated/stolen apps, etc.

Then you show off something like those screens above and people are suddenly all interested with that faux Homer Simpson thing...

"iPhones/iPod touches/iPads can do that?!?!"

and a whole new world becomes possible. :D

Nice screens, btw, very nice indeed.

I'm using a 2nd gen Ipod touch on v3.0 and jailbroken using some other utility (can't recall what it was called). I've installed Cydia and it works well.

After updating to 3.1.3, using Spirit, do I just have to reinstall Cydia and restore any apps I d/l off there?

Thanks in advance.

I'm using a 2nd gen Ipod touch on v3.0 and jailbroken using some other utility (can't recall what it was called). I've installed Cydia and it works well.

After updating to 3.1.3, using Spirit, do I just have to reinstall Cydia and restore any apps I d/l off there?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, except Spirit installs Cydia for you so no need to worry about that.

Is there currently any way to unlock the 3.1.3 firmware for international use? I'll be going overseas. This won't do it for me will it?

Worked for me 3Gs running 3.1.3
MyWi app was flakey at first, but a hard reset later & renaming my SSID, I am now typing on my WiFi 32gb iPad connected to iPhone hotspot. This is very cool!!

Yet another reason to love the JB:

iphone_zelda.jpg

SNES4iPhone anyone? The Wii Remote works too!

Back