• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Spire Powercube 501, 502

funklizard

n00b
Joined
Aug 30, 2009
Messages
36
Has anyone tried either of these?
It looks like the only difference between these is the front panel. They seem to be a little smaller than the Lian Li Q21; but with the major downside of having only a single low-profile slot rather than two full-height ones. As it happens, though, I'm looking for a case that will accommodate a low-profile card. And I'm also looking for a case that I can cart around and not care too much if it gets scratched or banged up; so that pretty much rules out any Lian Li case. :) With that in mind, the price is right on this one. (Though, at this price, I suspect that the included power supply won't be worth a damn.)
 
Hm, they look somewhat interesting. I wonder if you could mod them to put a GPU behind the motherboard, but I guess there's not quite enough space there.
 
Thats really awesome. If this is actually available at a lower end price bracket, it certainly fills a niche for a compact general use workstation that needs to fit a 3.5" drive, power button at the front and USB ports in an accessible location. Its a practical case for general workstation use.

Next question is really, where and how much is it?
- Ah.. it was released in 2014 Aug.

Not easy to find, but I did also find it at "coolgods" in the netherlands, selling it for just under 55 euros. Shipping to australia is about 150 euros, bringing it to a total of 205 euros, thats about AU$329, or US$230.

The Coolerguys have it for US$39, shipping is US$115.

When I can get a NCase for that price, its pretty easy to rule it out. If this was available to me for around AU$50, then I would consider it, maybe maximum AU$70, but at this stage is pretty difficult to justify.

For yourself, having a case for $39 isn't too bad at all, but if your throwing out the PSU, thats a portion of the cost going to waste, which means the case itself must be built to a pretty low price to start with.

Looks kinda cute and promising though, love the layout. If only it took 2 3.5" hdds, so it could be my RAID Server :).
 
- Ah.. it was released in 2014 Aug.
I totally missed that.

Odd... I've been intermittently combing Google searches for interesting Mini ITX cases for some years; and I'm just seeing this pop up now. My guess is Coolerguys got ahold of some old stock from overseas and this might not have been generally available in the US when it was released.

I can certainly see how having to ship this overseas would make this deal substantially less attractive. But for those of us in the US, it looks like a bargain. And if this is an "old stock purchased at fire sale prices" price, the power supply might not even be too shabby.

I have a 501 on the way.
 
Last edited:
Yay, I happen to be in the market for such cases, and this is pretty promising design that looks to do what it intends pretty well.

Look forward to what your thoughts are and your build. :)
 
Back
Top