Spilled drink on my mechanical keyboard :(

Astralogic

Gawd
Hi, I HAD a Qwazar Red Shift until it got wet. Now the keyboard sends windows crazy, lowering the volume, opening explorers windows etc, it trips out.

Is there any way to repair this? I tried to clean under the keys with some alcohol but nothing seems to help.

I'll take a swing...

In the 80's and 90's, I worked for a company that made systems for computerized typesetting. These used Cherry-built keyboards, with mechanical keys of course. Not only were the kybd's expensive, but add the crazy markup from my company to its cost and when a typesetter dumped a Coke or a coffee onto it, it was panic time.

Since these were generally print shops and small newspapers, downtime was a big deal. But because they were printshops and newspapers, they also had gallons of 91% isopropyl alcohol sitting around. I'd drive out to the customer's site, grab a (shallow but wide) bucket and fill with alcohol, and toss the kybd in. Put some latex gloves on and work that keyboard while submerged for a hour or so...remove and blast with compressed air. 100% success rate.

Do consider that these Cherry kybd's had epoxy letters & numbers, and laughed at alcohol. I've seen so many blank keys these last 10 years that I dunno what mfgr's use nowadays for lettering (sharpie?).

Hmmm... if alcohol won't clean up the mess, your Qwazar might be beyond resurrection. I had a similar accident with a can of Pepsi spilled on a Filco, many years ago. Alcohol got it only about 75% clean and functional. That was the last time I spent more than $80 on a keyboard.

Not sure if your keys come off. If they do, then start with popping them off if you can. They do make tools to remove the keys. Clean the keys and around where they stick/click to keyboard.
EDIT: Do read the Video's SHOW MORE section. They have links to another guide that has similar steps outlined, but in picture form.

Don't read the comments for theYoutube video.

I'd disassemble the entire keyboard and clean up everything you see with 91% alcohol. Then carefully put it back together again and see what happens.

It sounded like just certain keys were sticking, and if that persists, you can change just those switches that went bad or even disassemble them and clean them out. Luckily mechanical switches are, well, mechanical, so you can clean up the mechanism and get them back to 100% easily. Good luck!

Back