Spider Eat Spider World...

Tim_axe

Gawd
I decided to just go and get a +4, +2, and +1 diopter set for some macro work. The quality isn't as good as a real macro lens but I can live with it.

My largest problem is that on my 85mm f/1.8, focusing is nearly impossible because the diopters induce a lot of weird artifacts at that f-stop (f/1.8). Instead I have to stop the lens down to f/5.6-f/16 with the DoF Preview button and focus the lens like that.

I think the two spiders involved are some Jumping Spider (black one) & a Crab Spider (green one). Onto the pictures:

photos_img_05072197.jpg

I found this guy and tried following him around. But he quickly ran off so I found another subject. Little did I know...

photos_img_05072217.jpg

...that he was being eaten up by another spider during that time.

photos_img_05072223.jpg

So I stuck around and took a few pictures...

photos_img_05072259.jpg

...until I was pretty sure he was gone.

nice shots. I hate spiders but thought the pics were tastefully done.

I stacked all of the filters (except maybe the first one, that was probably just the +4. I'm not completely sure anymore). So +4, +2, and +1 should be something like +7 for the diopter. (They were Hoya uncoated filters, BTW - picked them up at a local camera shop)

I also used a tripod because hand-holding easily gets you out of the range you can focus. Basically your focusing distance is cut down to whatever is say 2 inches to 3 inches away from the lens, opposed to the usual focusing distance to infinity.

Wide open the image is horrible and even more difficult to focus with, but stopped down you can actually focus on stuff and get some pretty good pictures.

See this 100% crop if you're not too afraid of spiders. (~128KB)

Back