Spice up 'cheap' case (Pics)

Steak

Limp Gawd
I got the Antec SLK1600 a while back from Fry's for $29 after rebate. Going to house some of my old hardware (PIII 700@824), put on some DK Shadow Blue Metalic paint, buff the heck out of it. Take a look:

AntecSLK1600.jpg

Not thing fancy here, just a 120mm intake, 92mm exhaust running at 7V.

AntecCombo1.jpg

More pics to come.

man that is fuckin' nice!!! looks better then my case:eek: and i spent 100 bux on it:(

VERY good job:)

/edit: what did you use to buff it??? how did you get the paint to look so damn good?

Wow sweet paint job!!! Where did you buy that paint from a local hardware store? Did you sand and put a primer coat on or did you just paint right over it?

Damn! That almost looks better than my $160 CoolerMaster! Holy crap, where the hell have you been Steak? The last time I saw one of your mods was like a year ago. You've always done a good job, and this is just great.

You have to buy really high quality paint and prep your case properly. Case painting takes time, but it isn't hard.

You did a great job with that POS Fry's case. The ricer effect does apply to PCs after all.

:p

Looks good, not bad for $30 case.

How much did you spend on supply's?

Thx guys. The painting supply all from Pepboys Truck & Body line. Like many good guides online, I went through sand, prime, paint, clear, buff, then polish process.

Was thinking to paint the whole case dark blue, but changed to 2 tones -- because I like the look of yet another cheap case, $19.95 include tax and a 350 PSU :D, I got from a computer show.

cheapcase1.jpg

HitMan: I got 3 empty modded cases sitting on the shell with no hardware to put in, including a LL PC68. Da wife threating to trash them
:eek: Must resist!

...Working on a pic of the case on reflection.

Nice work.

To bad you didn't prime the red case properly to get the paint to match on the bezel/body

I like that blue. It's a pretty tight shade

Yo Bill, what are you doing these days? William Van Winkle over at CPU Magazine and me were talking about you on the phone Friday.

:D

That red case on the right looks so damn familar, but I cant place it. What brand is it?

Originally posted by Steak
Thx guys. The painting supply all from Pepboys Truck & Body line. Like many good guides online, I went through sand, prime, paint, clear, buff, then polish process.

Was thinking to paint the whole case dark blue, but changed to 2 tones -- because I like the look of yet another cheap case, $19.95 include tax and a 350 PSU :D, I got from a computer show.

HitMan: I got 3 empty modded cases sitting on the shell with no hardware to put in, including a LL PC68. Da wife threating to trash them
:eek: Must resist!

...Working on a pic of the case on reflection.

Cool maybe I'll stop by pep boys and check out their paint supplies on my next mod.

This is the case on the reflection. Believe or not, it WAS anther $30 case I got about 5 years ago. Hmm.. we got a cheap bastar theme going on here :D

The good old "Lefty"
Leftyfulla.jpg

The old ATX mobo board was switch around and up side down
Leftyfullb.jpg

Kept adding alumninum pieces to it, became too 'busy' for my own eyes.
Leftyffronta.jpg

very nice work indeed :)

nice to see one of the older guys again, i faintly recall you from a long, long, time ago ;) :D

You could sell some of those cases, instead of leaving them vulnerable to your wife's wrath :eek:. I really liked that light blue one with the red backpanel/pci slot covers you did.

Modding Cheap and Old cases is fun :) I like working on them :) Btw that last case is cool. I've never seen a case with the layout like that before.

Damn you Steak! Now I wanna take this old AT case I have, pop the back and front panels out, flip the front, make a new back to accept an atx mobo, and flip it upside down like yours! DAMN YOU!!!!

hehe, j/k :) Its kinda like seeing suicide doors for the first time, you want to do the same to your car.

More pics please :D
i love the blue case

ps is that the highest you can get your p3 700?
i got mine up to 880 stable but am having problems with 933.
what are the rest of the specs

Glad you like them. That makes me bring out another cheap ricer off the garage...

This one has been parking too long, need some cleaning
Black1.jpg

Pepboys is your friend...wonder this would look good on a Honda
black2.jpg

Imagine me playing on-line game with those shinning on the eyes. What was I thinking?
black3.jpg

And finally after hours wasted, didn't gain one HP/MHz
BCswitches2.jpg

ps. About that hard drive, all I can tell you that it's dead:D

Dude, you seriously need to sell those cases, make some cash, but some cheap cases, mod, sell, make, mod, sell........

Originally posted by tylerhskate
i wanna mod my parents HP(bash it with a hammer) ill post some pics when im done

Whats with all the troubled youth on this forum lately smashing and breaking their parents stuff?

Steak, very nice work. You have a great eye for art and attention to detail. Very rarely do you see 'complete' cases like the ones you posted.

Sometimes I think people rush their mods because they want to show them off. Patience, time and a steady hand always make for great professional grade work. Great job.

I never knew that case could look so good! (the red one on the first page) My dad used to buy those from Fry's for all of the computers who used to built. Hell, it's sitting in my dad's den holding his AMD K6-2 500MHz which he is picking for parts to throw in his new AthlonXP 2600+ system. I have one or two down in my garage in pretty good condition that I could probably paint. Wow, I would love to do that now...

Hey Steak, I could supply you with a couple of empty cases for one of those, one of your painted cases would look really good for my linux box. I'm going to go check out what I have "in stock". :D

There is no way I'd be able to do that... I'm impatient and a newbie to painting.

Back