Spending My Year-End Bonus: HD6870CF, GTX480 Lightning, GTX580, or HD5970?

Actually I do not really intend to spend my year-end bonus. However, when reading some new graphics cards articles lately, it makes me think this matter. If I would spend my year-end bonus, which graphics cards is more feasible? HD6870 in CF configuration, GTX480 Lightning from MSI, GTX580, or HD5970?

nvidia-gtx-580-3dmv1-r1.jpg

http://www.jagatreview.com/2010/11/review-nvidia-gtx-580-fermi-at-its-best/

3dmark06_1920_1200.gif

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6870_CrossFire/

According to some review site, that four graphics cards are likely to have capabilities that are not too far adrift. The question is, which graphics cards provide the best price/performance?

My current rig are as follows:
  • Intel Core i7 930
  • X58-based mainboard with 4 PCIEx16 slot
  • 3 x 2GB DDR3
  • NVIDIA GTX295-based graphics card

For power supply, I think I will replace my old power supply with a 1200W power supply from Antec:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=177

Its only a question you can answer.

Heres some things to mull over:

If you get a 5970 your upgrade path is limited, you can't get another 5970 and expect a large performance difference in most cases.

If you get two 6870 your upgrade path is to replace both cards

If you get a single gtx 580 upgrading is expensive but possible

If you buy before waiting for the 6970 your choice may leave you upset.

Resolution plays a large role, consider what you have now and if you intend to upgrade.

eyefinity/nvsurround/3d is another subject to consider.

None of those listed. I would go with the cards that haven't been released yet, 6970, 6950 or GTX 570. These cards should be priced under $400 and lead to a better upgrade path when retailers start to offer discounts or members sell them in the forums for <$350.
The 580 is out of the question for SLI cost wise and the others are dated. The 6870s will continue to be the price and performance choice but I didn't like them at all.

Last edited:
I would wait for the holo-cube cards so spend your year end bonus. It makes your room turn into the holodeck like in star trek.

We'll see when the 6900 debut, the 5970 is the best single card in the high end and can be found cheaper than the 580

I dont see 470 SLI in there. Thats probably the way I am going. for the price of one 580 your getting killer power in two cards. The 470 can be had for $239.00 right now and in SLI blows away a pretty much any single card out there except the 5970 its almost tied. and your right at the same cost as the 580 or a 5970.

Just my 2 cents tho...

Check This Out

I'd wait and compare the following in price/performance; the HD 6950, the HD 6970, the GTX 580 and the GTX 570.

The 6950 and 570 may be real solid values when overclocking enters the picture.

If you do bother with MGPU, go SLi instead of Crossfire. nVidia aren't perfect and their support is far more solid than AMD's in that regard. 570 SLi could shake out to be very interesting for MGPU fans.

Crossfire is wonderful when it works. I've owned HD 5870 Crossfire since those cards were released.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1336421100&postcount=15

Again, sometimes it does work perfectly. Sometimes it will scale/work properly but you get graphic glitches and odd slow downs. Sometimes you get negative scaling with a missing or broken driver profile. Then you may get single GPU performance by disabling Crossfire. You use to be able to do that by unchecking CAT AI.

It's frustrating when AMD get Crossfire working properly in a title, then break it in a later driver release.

I've tried Crossfire off and on with various cards since I had my X1900 XT, and the Crossfire edition for the same. I've always ended up ditching it in the end due to minor to major annoyances. They add up. I've given AMD countless "second chances". I'm done with Crossfire for now.

If the OP wants to try HD 6870 Crossfire and formulate his own opinion, I'd say go for it. Just make sure you buy them from a place that allows you to return them for a full refund if you're not satisfied.

SLi is more solid and a single GPU is the most stable and reliable.

Without a doubt, two 6850s in crossfire, especially if overclocking. They perform just as well as two 6870s in many games (for example, Crysis), and also perform better than the 5970 or two 5870s in Crossfire. They scale VERY well, the second 6850 literally doubling framerates in some games.

If you can wait, though, 6970 should bring amazing performance, not to mention the 6990 or two 6970s (if the 6850s crossfire as well as they do now its hard to imagine what kind of framerates we'll be getting with a 6990).

I'd wait and compare the following in price/performance; the HD 6950, the HD 6970, the GTX 580 and the GTX 570.

The 6950 and 570 may be real solid values when overclocking enters the picture.

If you do bother with MGPU, go SLi instead of Crossfire. nVidia aren't perfect and their support is far more solid than AMD's in that regard. 570 SLi could shake out to be very interesting for MGPU fans.
Yupe, it's interesting to wait for HD6900 series..:)

It got more than 90% performance increase when running on CF.. I'm wondering how HD6900 series will perform when running on CF configuration???:confused:

Wait for AMD's offerings and by then the other NV cards should be out and then the GTX 580 will even be cheaper because of competition. You said you aren't getting your bonus until the end of the year, so it works out anyways.

Crossfire is wonderful when it works. I've owned HD 5870 Crossfire since those cards were released.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1336421100&postcount=15

Again, sometimes it does work perfectly. Sometimes it will scale/work properly but you get graphic glitches and odd slow downs. Sometimes you get negative scaling with a missing or broken driver profile. Then you may get single GPU performance by disabling Crossfire. You use to be able to do that by unchecking CAT AI.

It's frustrating when AMD get Crossfire working properly in a title, then break it in a later driver release.

I've tried Crossfire off and on with various cards since I had my X1900 XT, and the Crossfire edition for the same. I've always ended up ditching it in the end due to minor to major annoyances. They add up. I've given AMD countless "second chances". I'm done with Crossfire for now.

If the OP wants to try HD 6870 Crossfire and formulate his own opinion, I'd say go for it. Just make sure you buy them from a place that allows you to return them for a full refund if you're not satisfied.

SLi is more solid and a single GPU is the most stable and reliable.

you can't compare that the the 6800. there has been some kind of bug with 5800 xfire from the beginning. everything else works great. 5700, 5600, and 6800. never got a good reason why. but if you look at the reviews 6870 often do much better

Reading the article about the NVIDIA 3D Vision makes me interested to try it .. :D Does anyone know what the price of NVIDIA's 3D Vision glasses and also 3D/120Hz monitors like the ones in the article??
3D_VISION_KIT.jpg

ACER_GD245HQ.jpg

Then, is my GTX295 support the 3D Vision features?

After some long thought, I decided to buy 2 pieces HD6870..;) Yeah, I'll buy it at the beginning of January.. By the way, is it better to buy a power supply designed specifically for VGA like this Thermaltake product:
IMG_7415.jpg

Compared with buying power supply 850W, I think the price to be paid will be lower..:) Based on the review that I read, it seems that power supply can handle HD6870CF well.

Test.jpg

Watt.jpg

Are there anyone who have experience using a power supply like that? Please give me your opinion.. Thanks..

Why aren't you considering the HD 69xx series? I'd think a pair of HD 6950s (hoping you could flash them to 6970s) would be the best route by far.

Also, that Thermaltake thing is okay, but I'd recommend just getting a higher wattage traditional supply and selling your current supply to offset the cost. Buying a quality 1kw PSU used is not that expensive anymore.

Last edited:
meh I say a 580. He's looking at the top cards. From what i hear there are supposed to be more amd cards later?

I have Crossfire 5970 myself and I can honestly say that i do enjoy the raw power of the cards. I run 3 x 27" samsung 1080p screens and it runs great. But I cannot stress this this enough I HATE ATI/AMD's drivers. My next video card purchase is going to be NVIDIA.

Ah, come on Lord. Bust open that piggy bank and get two 6950's and then unlock them to 6970's. :)

Why aren't you considering the HD 69xx series? I'd think a pair of HD 6950s (hoping you could flash them to 6970s) would be the best route by far.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't make my computer purchases on the "hope" that they will do something unsupported.

Back