Spending $250...which video card?

r0cketrider

Weaksauce
I currently have a 9600XT.

It just does not cut the mustard anymore.

I have had NVidia and ATI, no real preference, either will do.

I am running on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with AGP and am going to stick with that (in other words I am not upgrading the mobo for PCI-E).

I have been out of the hardware game for awhile, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

r0cketrider said:

I am running on an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with AGP and am going to stick with that (in other words I am not upgrading the mobo for PCI-E).

I have been out of the hardware game for awhile, so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Im selling my PCI-E BFG 6800 ULTRA OC 256mb for 249.00 shipped.!!! let me know.... Why would you put 250 dollars in an AGP card, there is no future for AGP. Get a PCIE motherboard, there very cheap now...... ALSO, where in Atlanta do you live? maybe if you wanted this card, you can pick it up here!! no shipping....

Since you are using an AGP motherboard, your best bet for the amount you are willing to use is a 6800gt or higher. Since the 7800gt and gtx prices are going down so fast (brand new), the 6800s should be going down as well. Remember a used 7800gt can fetch about $300+ so $250 should get you a decent 6800gt OC.
For ATI, go with an X800 or 800xt.
I recommend either an eVGA or BFG 6800gt ultra if you can find them. They both should have a lifetime warranty on them just in case.
GL.

newls1 said:
Im selling my PCI-E BFG 6800 ULTRA OC 256mb for 249.00 shipped.!!! let me know.... Why would you put 250 dollars in an AGP card, there is no future for AGP. Get a PCIE motherboard, there very cheap now...... ALSO, where in Atlanta do you live? maybe if you wanted this card, you can pick it up here!! no shipping....

I suggest a 6800gt as well, or an ultra if you can get one that cheap. I would guess you could squeeze out another year on that hardware then do a full system upgrade.

If you can afford wait just a little longer for the upgrade, then I'd wait if I were you. The prices on many high-performance video cards like the 7800 GT and even the ATI x1800 XL are coming down quickly, and I'd assume there will be some killer deals on them come Thanksgiving or (especially) Christmas.

But if you're looking for something right now, I'd look into the Sapphire GTO^2. It's got four dormant pipes that can be easily unlocked (16 total) and it's EXTREMELY overclockable. People have reported even reaching x850 XT Platinum Edition speeds with the much cheaper GTO^2, and I would think that it would beat a 6800 GT except for the fact that it doesn't have Shader Model 3.

r0cketrider said:

I have been out of the hardware game for awhile, so any advice is greatly appreciated.600
Well like you, I upgraded mine last year, (see sig). I 'm not upgrading for a while, I was using a ATI 9600pro, As you kow they work pretty well and I was searching and almost bought the 6800, but bought this instead. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102608. Received it today and WOW. I was able to turn up EQ2, Fable and Dungeon Seige 2. Ran a benchmark using Codecreatures,

EVERYTHING RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND.

9600pro 2488
X800GTO 5524

I can say now that I am very happy1 :D
Good luck

fyi there is a 6800gt fs on the dfi street forum for only 190. Don't know if it's agp though. But that's a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

I realize that PCI-E is the new way...but my MB/Proc is just fine for now and I am not going to spend money to just get PCI-E for now...maybe in another 2 years.

cheap agp cards are dissapearing quickly. buy now if you want one, or wait a year to get people leftovers.

Back