• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Speedtest Vs. TestMy

Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
522
So I was noticing a little lag playing Arma earlier today and I decided to do a
Internet speed test.

(My current ISP Verizon Fios / Download 50 Mbs / Upload 25 Mbs)

I found SpeedTest,net and got these results;

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3660681767
Ping 13 / Download 58 Mbs / Upload 38 Mbs

Then I found Testmy.net and got totally different results;
Download 1.8 Mbs / Upload 11 Mbs

Why such a big difference?
Testmy.net states that I might have a problem since Im 5% of the Verizon Fios average (95% slower)
 
So I was noticing a little lag playing Arma earlier today and I decided to do a
Internet speed test.

(My current ISP Verizon Fios / Download 50 Mbs / Upload 25 Mbs)

I found SpeedTest,net and got these results;

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3660681767
Ping 13 / Download 58 Mbs / Upload 38 Mbs

Then I found Testmy.net and got totally different results;
Download 1.8 Mbs / Upload 11 Mbs

Why such a big difference?
Testmy.net states that I might have a problem since Im 5% of the Verizon Fios average (95% slower)

Try speedof.me
 
First and foremost.... Most online gaming doesnt require alot of bandwidth. You should be running a pingtest instead. It will also test for packet loss and jitter. These are the things that affect real time applications the most such as voip, online gaming, etc...

That being said, I find varying results from different speedtest servers. I dont think its really all that out of the ordinary and isnt always indicative of your actual internet speed.
 
Keep in mind too that Verizon has been fighting with other ISPs (as I'm sure you've heard about in the news, Netflix, Cogent peering disputes, etc) so that could also cause problems, depending on the route it takes to get to the gaming servers. You can do a traceroute to see where the traffic flows.
 
You may as well be using a spatula to diagnose a car problem.. speedtest and pingtest tell you pretty much nothing about your game.
 
Back
Top