Speedstep on my laptop

volvo9

n00b
I got a new laptop the other day and re installed windows xp home SP1 on it to get rid of all that useless crap that comes with it, but I have one question. I can not get the speedstep function working. The cpu is constantly at 2.8Ghz which only allows for a little more than an hours worth of battery life while just surfing the web.

I did a search and tried a program called Speedswitch XP and it did not work. I also read that setting the power profile in XP to max battery will work, but that also does nothing.

Any help would be great.

The laptop is a Gateway 7320GZ with a P4 2.8 HT processor and XP home SP1.

You're missing the power driver. I hope it's on one of the CDs included with the system because it doesn't seem to be available as a download from gateway.

BTW, it's easier to use add/remove to get rid of the junk you don't want. Especially in your case if you can't find the power driver.

Google "RMClock". It will allow YOU to set your CPU's speed and voltage. I am getting an extra hour useing it.

Alias said:
Google "RMClock". It will allow YOU to set your CPU's speed and voltage. I am getting an extra hour useing it.

Thank you!

Downloaded it and it works great!

volvo9 said:
Thank you!

Downloaded it and it works great!

No problem. It stopped working on my Gateway a few days ago. Gateway said to replace my battery, change the power scheme. Non of which worked. So I found this and it works perfectly. The default voltage @ 600Mhz is .98V. This allows me to set it at .7V. Still perfectly stable and adds around an hour on this system.

On a side note, it worked fine with XP Pro SP2 instaled until a few days ago. I did not have to install an extra driver for it either. From what I understand its controlled via the chipset and/or BIOS.

How do you like that laptop? I'm considering one. What does it weigh and how much battery life do you get?

Back