• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

speedstep is funny :p

Suprfire

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Sep 1, 2008
Messages
2,116
I wasn't aware that speedstep on my i7 could change the multiplier to anything but 12 and 20(21 for turbo)

Now its all whack :D
I'm getting 13, 14,15 17, 18, 19, 20 multipliers
Been watching for a few minutes and its hit all of 12-21 except for 16 ._o

edit: it hit 16 finally
 
Yeah I've been watching mine at stock speeds with speeding stepping too, it's pretty cool.

I didn't know it worked when overclocking as well!
 
Hahahaha, i usually disable things like speedstep right from the get go. If nothing else, this saves me some ID10-T and PEBKAC errors when I freak that my CPU is running at some wildly different frequencies than I was expecting! :p
 
SpeedStep is great if you are trying to save battery power. I always turn it off.
 
There is no reason whatsoever to disable speedstep. It doesn't make your processor any slower when it's being used and it almost never has any effect on your overclocking ability.

On the other-hand an overclocked quad can suck a ton of power especially if it's overvolted. Having a processor in that situation able to throttle itself down is a very good thing.

In fact I'd be curious if anyone could actually come up with a single good reason to disable it; I don't think one exists. Most people seem to have it disabled because they've been misinformed about it having a detrimental effect on overclocking, because "a friend" told them to disable it, or because it's simply too much to handle for them to see it clock down at idle.

I wonder if the people who disable speedstep also rev the engine in their car to red-line at each stop-sign? Because something slowing down when it's not being used is bad right?
 
I always leave it enabled too, desktop or mobile, overclocking or not. I used to disable CnQ on AMD CPUs back when it was too flaky.
 
Back
Top