Speeding up Sam s5

Pivo504

2[H]4U
It seems sluggish in the ui and apps. Is there a way too speed up the phone somehow?

Uninstall all apps you aren't using and disable the services you dont use. Presuming that fails, reset the phone to factory firmware and start over.

Last edited:
He's already done that... and that's the tricky bit. One of the S5's biggest problems was that it epitomized everything wrong with Samsung's pre-S6 software: it was so weighed down by features and gimmicks that it didn't feel as fast as the hardware suggested. The S6 isn't exactly as light as stock Android, but it's a breath of fresh air in comparison.

One thing that may help: which version of Android is the S5 running? Did you notice the slowdown after a recent upgrade?

I'd focus on the following.

- Temporarily remove the SD card since most are crap, including Sandisk, and can cause performance issues. If the responsiveness returns get a different SD card like from Samsung. I just RMA'd a Sandisk SD card that hardly has any use but it'll occasionally report removed/inserted and has gone into read-only mode which are signs that it's going bad.

- Like a pre-built PC it comes pre-loaded with apps. Go into apps menu, show all and disable anything you don't ever run. Optional but you want to do this after a factory reset and before connecting to cellular or WIFI data so it doesn't update and take up internal storage. I usually disable the magazine UI, Google+, Facebook, printer, health, Samsung specific services, etc.

- Boot into recovery and clear cache.

- If all else fails, use KIES or ODIN to do a clean full firmware reflash and reset to factory defaults from recovery.

Last edited:
I did the update when Loli pop hit but have not done anymore updates since then. I also noticed that the battery does not seem to last as long as before the lolipop update

Vengeance can you pm me on the process? Will it also help with battery life?

I just started up my phone and it seems there is another updates today. Has anyone updated on the s5? Curious if this update fixes the speed issues and battery drain. Can someone link me to where you can get direction debloating the s5 via Rom? Will this make a night and day difference? Appreciate the help

I just started up my phone and it seems there is another updates today. Has anyone updated on the s5? Curious if this update fixes the speed issues and battery drain. Can someone link me to where you can get direction debloating the s5 via Rom? Will this make a night and day difference? Appreciate the help

Try the update yourself and post back here with your opinion. You are going to need to try the updates or ROMs for yourself to see if you are happy. Not everyone has the same opinion about what constitutes a "night and day" difference, and everyone uses different combinations of software.

Your best bet would be to post the same question on the GS5 XDA forum. I somehow doubt you really want to get into rooting/ROMing your phone (even if it's possible right now on the latest update, esp. if you're on Verizon or AT&T it probably isn't an option for you). Either search around there for tips/tricks on how to speed up your GS5 without root, or check out your respective carrier/variant development subforum to see on how to root and ROM and if you're still interested in doing it.

I just updated my S5 a few days ago and it seemed to be definitely quicker than before.

I also always install the updates as soon as VZ makes them available.

Paper wastage what is that post for? Cyclone how is the battery in the latest update is it better than before?
Under the developer section what should everything be set to for best speeds? Under apps what do not keep activities when leaving app be checked off? and the number of apps running in the background what should that be?
it seems the latest update only did two things :"GALAXY Apps" app store will be auto installed on your device
Fingerprint Scanner for unlocking Microsoft Exchange accounts is now enabled....two things I could care less about how can I disable this annoying update crap

Last edited:
Paper wastage what is that post for?

with the default 1x setting: when you press the home button, the system will always take (example) 0.5s to animate the app closing and the home screens popping up

with 0.5x setting, the system will take (example) 0.25s to do the same thing.

It'll appear slightly faster. If your device is underload and lagging, it might still appear as "laggy"

if you set it to 0x, then there's no animation. things will appear a lot quicker, but it's annoying without any sort of animation

the custom ROm on my nexus 5 allows me to go down to 0.25x, but I haven't see anything lower than 0.5x on my friends' deviecs (samsung, sony, ...)

Can anyone with an s5 that is actually fast chime in on what they did to get it ti that point?

Back