Speedier Broadband Standards? Pai’s FCC Says 25Mbps Is Fast Enough

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has proposed maintaining the current broadband standard of 25Mbps/3Mbps for another year. While this would indicate the agency believes internet is "being deployed to all Americans in a reasonable and timely fashion,” Democratic Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel disagrees, having made a call to increase the standard to 100Mbps.

"It is time to be bold and move the national broadband standard from 25 Megabits to 100 Megabits per second. When you factor in price, at this speed the United States is not even close to leading the world. That is not where we should be and if in the future we want to change this we need both a more powerful goal and a plan to reach it. Our failure to commit to that course here is disappointing. I regretfully dissent."

Definitely has nothing to do with him riding the nuts of shitheap companies providing horse shit service.

I mean, why would we ever strive to exceed mediocrity when there are so many more important things to worry about, like corporate coffers.

That reminds me, I need to call my isp and see if they can give me a deal going from 300Mbps to 500Mbps, I'd go 1000Mbps, but then I'd have to buy a new modem. Hmmm, I wonder if they pro rate 960Mbps.

I’m getting 1gbps installed on Monday. How long would it take to download a 40gb game on a 25mbps connection?

Definitely has nothing to do with him riding the nuts of shitheap companies providing horse shit service.

I mean, why would we ever strive to exceed mediocrity when there are so many more important things to worry about, like corporate coffers.

I do not think you understand what it means to "exceed mediocrity" when the large US ISPs would need to massively increase speed, massively increase reliability, and massively decrease price to have even a faint hope of reaching mediocrity.

I’m getting 1gbps installed on Monday. How long would it take to download a 40gb game on a 25mbps connection?

For many people it's not just the crap speeds,, but also the newer and seemingly increasingly more stringent bandwidth caps...

America is definitely not winning with our internet. Even considering the huge land mass we have, many cities lack a solid ISP without a ton of restrictions or with a good speed. For me, I see the US really lagging behind in a lot of scientific endeavors where we used to excel. It is way more about profits than it is making the country and it's people better. Back in the day, it was both.

I do not think you understand what it means to "exceed mediocrity" when the large US ISPs would need to massively increase speed, massively increase reliability, and massively decrease price to have even a faint hope of reaching mediocrity.

For many people it's not just the crap speeds,, but also the newer and seemingly increasingly more stringent bandwidth caps...

I'm happen to live in an area with where a few major players also just so happen to be in competition with each other.

One announced FTTH development. Verizon saw appropriate to fire back. I now have symmetrical gigabit.

Qx62Nm.jpg

I think 40Mbs is more than enough for most people. I was happy with 100Mbs, happier with 175Mbs as it was a few upgrades.
I have 1Gbs available but didn't want to pay double for it. I think the bigger issue in the US is bandwidth caps. I was hitting 3TB a month on average with less than half the speed I have now.

I think 40Mbs is more than enough for most people. I was happy with 100Mbs, happier with 175Mbs as it was a few upgrades.
I have 1Gbs available but didn't want to pay double for it. I think the bigger issue in the US is bandwidth caps. I was hitting 3TB a month on average with less than half the speed I have now.

I pay $150/month for a 2gig and 1 gig line (shared public IP addy) and no datacap.

It's $80~ for Gigabit here - no data cap.

There's no shortage of (amusingly red, more often than not) areas in the country with law makers blatantly taking 14 inches of telco dick. Why should it be so comically difficult to join the fray? If Google has trouble, the rest of mere mortals stand no chance.

I mean, this is specifically what the guy was brought in for. To fuck everything up. The President wants to make sure that when he leaves it will be a massive pile of flaming shit for the next administration.

Dude’s just doing what he was asked to do.

It's $80~ for Gigabit here - no data cap.

There's no shortage of (amusingly red, more often than not) areas in the country with law makers blatantly taking 14 inches of telco dick. Why should it be so comically difficult to join the fray? If Google has trouble, the rest of mere mortals stand no chance.
I'm going to guess ATT is your provider? That's what I'm paying for gigabit, no cap.

i think 40mbps was enough 5-8 years ago.
i agree with you on the caps though, they need to no longer exist.

My question is what cant you do with 25mb a sec? I mean obviously.you can download faster but in the end does that matter? So i can download a game.in 30 mins over 120 mins. Whoopie to me. Unless you are downloading.bluray isos and need it meow i think you can wait. I feel that is there thing.

For everyday things 25 seems.to work quite well for 2 or 3 people.

Dont get me wrong. Ive had faster internet and went to 27mb when i moved and it really isnt killing me. Im not rage murdering my neighbors because my iso didnt get complete in minutes.

My question is what cant you do with 25mb a sec? I mean obviously.you can download faster but in the end does that matter? So i can download a game.in 30 mins over 120 mins. Whoopie to me. Unless you are downloading.bluray isos and need it meow i think you can wait. I feel that is there thing.

For everyday things 25 seems.to work quite well for 2 or 3 people.

Dont get me wrong. Ive had faster internet and went to 27mb when i moved and it really isnt killing me. Im not rage murdering my neighbors because my iso didnt get complete in minutes.

Streaming would suffer. 4K would be totally out. And even 1080p can get pretty dicey on 25M depending on the quality. 100M is about the absolute minimum that I personally consider acceptable for a home or office internet connection in modern times. 25M would have been a good goal...8-10 years ago.

Streaming would suffer. 4K would be totally out. And even 1080p can get pretty dicey on 25M depending on the quality. 100M is about the absolute minimum that I personally consider acceptable for a home or office internet connection in modern times. 25M would have been a good goal...8-10 years ago.

But do all people need 4k? I mean if thier goal is a usuable speed for everyday use, i dont see 4k be9ng in that part. Talking across all people here. Again, basic usability stand point.

I feel 100mb is overkill for most people.

But do all people need 4k? I mean if thier goal is a usuable speed for everyday use, i dont see 4k be9ng in that part. Talking across all people here. Again, basic usability stand point.

I feel 100mb is overkill for most people.

I know this might come as a shock but things that will happen in the future will eventually become the now

I dunno about four and a half hours? So not really horribly long.

That said I agree that 25Mbps is "fast enough" for the floor of what is called "broadband" that doesn't mean that is all you're ever going to be offered.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has proposed maintaining the current broadband standard of 25Mbps/3Mbps for another year. While this would indicate the agency believes internet is "being deployed to all Americans in a reasonable and timely fashion,” Democratic Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel disagrees, having made a call to increase the standard to 100Mbps.

"It is time to be bold and move the national broadband standard from 25 Megabits to 100 Megabits per second. When you factor in price, at this speed the United States is not even close to leading the world. That is not where we should be and if in the future we want to change this we need both a more powerful goal and a plan to reach it. Our failure to commit to that course here is disappointing. I regretfully dissent."
Of course this is only what get to get 'called' broadband. It's cable industry wants so that alternatives that are a bit slower in some cases like DSL or satelitte can't call themselves broadband.

Back