speedfan question

malicious

Supreme [H]ardness
i've never been able to get speedfan to actually change the speed of a fan connected to my motherboard... is there a trick or do i just not have the right hardware

mobo = shuttle an35n ultra
fan = 80mm 3 pin coolermaster silent led w/ rpm

has anybody ever used speedfan to adjust a fan via mobo fan header?

works for me. i can adjust 3 different fans with speedfan..
have u d/led the newest version?

it's pretty new i guess ... withint the last 2-3 months or so....

how do you adjust fan speed? with the <> % settings?

mal

speedfan detects 3 fans on my board...even though i have 4 plugged in(one being a psu rpm sensor)
it doesnt detect the 4th fan for some reason. i think it mgiht have to be something with the way the motherboard reports in the bios.

can you see your fan Rpms in your bios? if not, then speedfan probably wont work...
you could also try some different fan headers...

i would also make sure you have the newest version just to be sure...

you should be able to adjust the percentages of the fans on the main interface of speedfan.

i'll check to see if i can ... um.. see the rpms in the bios ..

i have the latest version .. adjust fan speed automatically is checked and <>% defualts to 0 and only allows up adjustment but nothing happens..

mal

malicious said:
i'll check to see if i can ... um.. see the rpms in the bios ..

i have the latest version .. adjust fan speed automatically is checked and <>% defualts to 0 and only allows up adjustment but nothing happens..

mal
yeah, it should default to 100% if its working correctly.
something is amiss...

i dunno man.
hopefully someone else knows whats going on...

Make sure any automatic fan controller features are enabled in the BIOS. For example on an Asus board, Qfan would need to be enabled for speedfan to work.

On my Asus board, QFan needs to be DISABLED for Speedfan to work. If QFan is on, Speedfan doesn't do anything.

With Speedfan, you've also got to go into Configure/Temperatures and set a "desired temp" for a sensor, and then Configure/Temperatures to assign fans to that temp sensor via the checkbox. Then got into Configure/Speeds and set the min and max values for the individual fans.

Really makes me miss my Abit board with UGuru, which let me fine tune five fans via BIOS and/or software.

yea i was reading that about how they had to be assigned but i didn't think it was that hard .... i have no type of fan anything in the bios other than fan speed ... i'll have to figure out how to assign it to a temp...

thanks..

i can't get it to work ... i think it's just configured incorrectly but i can't figure it out...

i went configure->temp and selected temp3 = cpu and unchecked everything else... desired = 40 .. warning = 50 .. show in tray = no ... logged = check.. then i exited..

i went configure->fan -- only option is to check or uncheck fan1 2 or 3 .. i unchecked all but 3 which is the fan in question .. logged = check .. exit..

i went configure-speed and uncheck all but speed3 .. min value = 0 max = 100 .. atuo varied = checked.. exit...

automatic fan speed = check...

problem is my <>% box for speed03 defualts to 0 i've never seen 100 percent in that box.. or anything else besides 0 for that matter ...

frustrating...

mal

Ok, when in config/temp, you need to expand the temp3 tree (click the +), and there should then be a list of fans. Select the fan (speed03) you want to control with temp3. If speed03 isn't assigned to anything, it gets no juice when in auto mode.

By default SpeedFan assigns fans to Temp1 (cpu). And on some boards (like my Asus), the third fan has RPM monitoring, but no voltage control, and SpeedFan can't do anything about that, it's a hardware issue.

If the first paragraph didn't get you working, try moving the fan in question to a different mobo header and see if you can get that to work. Most likely you'll have to swap that fan and the chipset fan, and you may need a $2.00 3-pin extender cable to get the chipset fan to reach the connector.

Back