Speed way slower wireless than wired (losing 66% of speed)

Spare-Flair

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm usually very good with computers and networking but I can't figure this one out.

I have a D-Link WBR-2310 router and I just upgraded to Shaw Xtreme-I service with my ISP. When I am wired in, I will usually get the advertised speed of 15 Mbps on various speedtests like speakeasy.net like Shaw recommends.

Now my wireless connection is excellent, near full and with very good efficiency. The router is only one room away. The monitor shows that it is only around 5-10% of thoroughput which is right because the wireless G connection (on Super G with Dynamic Turbo) is capable of 54Mbps.

The problem is that when I am wireless, the computer only gets around 3000-4000 kbps on speedtests and this is reflected in usenet downloads and youtube streaming, etc. as much, much slower than when plugged in. On wireless, watching HD youtube streams, I will get from 100-300 kbps download. Wired I can get up to 1 mbps download. Any ideas what could be causing this? I have played with all the settings on my wireless adapter and the modem and everything should be as fast and efficient as possible but somewhere along the line, I am losing a ridiculous 10,000 kbps in transfer speed.

This happens with other computers and laptops in the house on the same connection too. I can't figure it out. The router was only bought in December and it should be fine.

Welcome to the wacky world of wireless. In all seriousness the quality of the router has a lot to do with the speed you'll see on the other side of it and the WBR-2310 is one of the most basic models DLink sells. It's basic g-wireless, not even MIMO, which is one of the reasons you're not seeing the speed.

Other reasons may include channel interference (try another channel) or general intereference from unfriendly APs in neighboring houses and even 2.4GHz cordless telephones and baby monitors. Even material in the walls can cause dampening and poor wiring can cause EM interference.

There are many sources or potential issues that could cause you to see lessened performance using wireless but sadly, the first thing I'd recommend you do is replace that router. :(

This is a big problem nowadays, luckily i have solved the problem! You see with all the wireless/radio signals going thru the air all the time you need a booster.

Behold thy awesomeness: http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

In all seriousness, give some netgear products a try, they've never let me down. I also agree to switch out your router as said by Orinthical

Back