Speed up shared folder listing?

bubbles

Limp Gawd
I have a shared folder with 9000 files in it, shared with Samba over GigE, and the first time I browse the folder it always takes along time to load, but then after its quick. Is there any tweak in XP to make it browse the network folders faster? I would like it to be as fast as a normal hard drive.

For me, using a WINS server really fixed a lot of speed issues with the browsing of shares. However, for your case it may just be related with the amount of files you have.

now sure if ur on a network, but it might be a browser issue. check which machine is the master browser

YeOldeStonecat said:
2K and higher uses DNS before WINS...WINS is for Win9X.

Well, you CAN set it up to have WINS used. If you specify a WINS server, Windows will utilize that first.

I know you "can"...but dunno why I would. Dynamic DNS since 2K came out...it's a "why bother with the antiquated old way" thing.

I don't think the OP has a large network with any Windows servers on it anways..it appears to be more of an exploring issue than a network browsing...the directory with over 9000 files on it.

YeOldeStonecat said:
I know you "can"...but dunno why I would. Dynamic DNS since 2K came out...it's a "why bother with the antiquated old way" thing.

I don't think the OP has a large network with any Windows servers on it anways..it appears to be more of an exploring issue than a network browsing...the directory with over 9000 files on it.

No, I agree with you totally. I don't think it's name resolution at all, just stating the facts. :)

Back