Speed on Quad-Core

FusionXP

Limp Gawd
When a Quad-Core CPU is rated at 2.4GHz (Q6600 for example), does that mean each core uses 2.4GHz with a total of 9.6GHz or is it more like 0.6MHz for each core?

Also if you have a Quad-Core, is it necessary to use a 64bit OS or will everything run just fine with 32bit?

When a Quad-Core CPU is rated at 2.4GHz (Q6600 for example), does that mean each core uses 2.4GHz with a total of 9.6GHz or is it more like 0.6MHz for each core?

Also if you have a Quad-Core, is it necessary to use a 64bit OS or will everything run just fine with 32bit?

Yes, each core runs at 2.4ghz, but there is no "total" ghz ratings for quad cores (or dual cores for that matter).

And no, you do not need to use a 64-bit OS.

There is no total and no added up stuff. Each is just running at whatever speed it is at.

It's fine with 32bit, just need to see more programs out there written to work with quadcores.

This seems to be a common misconception all around the internet. Especially on eBay where people list processors that have multiple cores added up to equal insane speed ratings. Although, I think people are just trying to cash in on others who are less knowledgeable on the subject.

If you have 4GB or more ram, that's a good time to upgrade to a 64bit operating system but it is not necessary with either a quad-core or 4GB of ram.

If you learn to set affinities etc, its Two cores of 2.4ghz for say...CounterStrike:Source. 1x 2.4ghz Core for Folding, then 1x 2.4ghz core for (insert cpu intensive process here)

and counterstrike wont necessarily lag on you, folding will be doing just fine, and your other process has 1 core all to itself.

all of those processes have 1x 2.4ghz core for themselves, besides couterstrike which i doubt you need 2 cores for, but the source engine does accommodate for multiple cores.

maybe fold on two cores...who knows

If you learn to set affinities etc, its Two cores of 2.4ghz for say...CounterStrike:Source. 1x 2.4ghz Core for Folding, then 1x 2.4ghz core for (insert cpu intensive process here)

and counterstrike wont necessarily lag on you, folding will be doing just fine, and your other process has 1 core all to itself.

all of those processes have 1x 2.4ghz core for themselves, besides couterstrike which i doubt you need 2 cores for, but the source engine does accommodate for multiple cores.

maybe fold on two cores...who knows

Why bother with setting affinity for each program? You don't think Windows is capable of spreading out the load on it's own?

Many programs only use one core. You still benefit by having the other cores to handle additional workload and background programs, etc.

Some programs use mainly one core but have secondary tasks that can be processed on another core (sound engine, etc).

Some programs put more than one core to full use, but these are typically programs like DVD Transcoder programs or programs like adobe photoshop, not many games yet but there are a few. Some will use all 4 (DVD Shrink, Supreme Commander, etc).

Also, at this point most video drivers are written with at least some multi-core optimization in mind.

Why bother with setting affinity for each program? You don't think Windows is capable of spreading out the load on it's own?

Many programs only use one core. You still benefit by having the other cores to handle additional workload and background programs, etc.

Some programs use mainly one core but have secondary tasks that can be processed on another core (sound engine, etc).

Some programs put more than one core to full use, but these are typically programs like DVD Transcoder programs or programs like adobe photoshop, not many games yet but there are a few. Some will use all 4 (DVD Shrink, Supreme Commander, etc).

Also, at this point most video drivers are written with at least some multi-core optimization in mind.

Thx for the info. Now some have taken advantage of dual core. Quad core is still overkill but it always comes down to what u want/need.

From what I read, the next photoshop will take advantage of the mutli cores.

I play CS, virus scan starts. my fps and playability get owned.

Explain.

Setting affinity solves it. Windows cant distinguish what program i want to be more dedicated of my cores.

Explain.

Setting affinity solves it. Windows cant distinguish what program i want to be more dedicated of my cores.

What OS are your running?

Although, that really doesn't matter. It can probably be summed up to the lack of cache on that E6400. I can be running CS:S, doing a virus scan, downloading BT's and whatever else is going on in the background and never see a hiccup in CS:S.

IMO Vista does a stellar job of load distribution between cores compared to XP. And a quad-core really takes advantage of it.

Explain.

the virus scan rapes the hard drive as well, that might affect the computer in some way, but im running my q6600 at stock and i can be multi tasking like crazy and everything runs at normal speed.

When do you guys have you virus scans set to start anyway? Mine does a full system scan at 4am, when Im least likely to be up.

What OS are your running?

Although, that really doesn't matter. It can probably be summed up to the lack of cache on that E6400. I can be running CS:S, doing a virus scan, downloading BT's and whatever else is going on in the background and never see a hiccup in CS:S.

IMO Vista does a stellar job of load distribution between cores compared to XP. And a quad-core really takes advantage of it.

Waaaiiit...downloading via BT AND gaming an online game...? Last time I check and used Utorrent, it lagged anything using the internet to a small degree.

Waaaiiit...downloading via BT AND gaming an online game...? Last time I check and used Utorrent, it lagged anything using the internet to a small degree.
Depends on your upload settings, but in general, CS and torrenting at the same time is one of the stupidest things you could possibly do.

Depends on your upload settings, but in general, CS and torrenting at the same time is one of the stupidest things you could possibly do.

Depends on your NiC and WAN equpment too...I could do it.

Limiting the upload and even download of torrents running have a serious impact on whether or not you can play a game and torrent at the same time. While, I don't play CS, I do play TF2 a lot and have torrents running basically 24/7. Its about knowing what your limit is and setting it proportionally in order to achieve the same or a tad worse performance while online gaming.

All this talk about Quads makes me want to get one..

Limiting the upload and even download of torrents running have a serious impact on whether or not you can play a game and torrent at the same time. While, I don't play CS, I do play TF2 a lot and have torrents running basically 24/7. Its about knowing what your limit is and setting it proportionally in order to achieve the same or a tad worse performance while online gaming.

All this talk about Quads makes me want to get one..

Exactly. Limiting your upload speed is key to running torrents and gaming at the same time. I only allow 50Kbps up of the 300Kbps I have. I can play CS:S, COD4, talk on Vonage, do whatever and never even know that BT is running. And running a DLink DGL-4300 router helps prioritize traffic as well. I never break a ping of 60 on the servers I play on.

Those that call it stupid to do so have no concept of bandwidth management.

Those that call it stupid to do so have no concept of bandwidth management.
I was refering to the standard "oh, hai torrenting. why is my internets so slow?" usage. Of course if you manage things properly it wont have much/any effect.

Having QoS packet scheduling features on your modem/router helps alleviate bandwidth and traffic with torrents and multitasking.

You guys are totally headed OT but at least the question is pretty much answered.
No for 64bit requirement and bottom line is you have 4 cores running at 2.4ghz whether 1 thread is rolling or 4. It is pretty much like having 4 cpu's running at 2.4ghz except on 1 bus.

Back