Speed issues with Blackarmor NAS 110

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
Only getting about 12M with this device on a gigabit network. Be nice to get it into the 30s or 40 range.

Using DLink DIR-825 router and cat5e cables. Running Win7 Pro 64bit box with 4G of RAM OC'd at 3.83Ghz.

Would really appreciate the help. Plan is to use this for larger backups and also media streaming.

Thanks in advance

A low end NAS such as that one isn't really going to get any faster than that. Not much you can do. It's more than enough to stream any media content at least.

Yeah, unfortunately those NAS boxes were really just designed for low-end storage or small media streaming at best. None of them were designed for performance. At that point you need to build/buy a system with at least a single-core Atom CPU or get a SAN to get into the 20MB/s+ range.

Yeah, unfortunately those NAS boxes were really just designed for low-end storage or small media streaming at best. None of them were designed for performance. At that point you need to build/buy a system with at least a single-core Atom CPU or get a SAN to get into the 20MB/s+ range.

Wonder how the guy at the link above was getting the rates he stated.

Well, it was free.

Wonder how the guy at the link above was getting the rates he stated.

Well, it was free.

Something in that review doesn't add up. How is it that the 4K jumbo write speeds are a hell of a lot higher than the 4K jumbo read speeds, it should be the opposite, or similar if anything.

Also, what file(s) were they reading/writing?

I seriously do not trust that review as not enough details about which file service was used in the test. It just didn't seem like enough info was given.

Most NAS boxes get between 5-15MB/s at best, 20MB/s at the peak.

i filled a black armor 220 a few weeks ago and it it 22mb/s max, coping 4TB took a few days (not happy)

The netgear readynas Ultra range are meant ot get pretty goods speeds 60mb/s+ (they are based on the Intel atom)

i filled a black armor 220 a few weeks ago and it it 22mb/s max, coping 4TB took a few days (not happy)

The netgear readynas Ultra range are meant ot get pretty goods speeds 60mb/s+ (they are based on the Intel atom)

Totally, any Atom-based NAS will be much faster than a NAS with a simple RISC processor, thought 22MB/s is actually pretty good for a low-cost NAS.

How are you setup to get the 22mb/s? Setting or tweaks?

I see the following types available for use in this NAS:
  • CIFS
  • FTP
  • NFS
  • RB
  • MS

I have CIFS, NFS, RB and MS all enable. Don't see myself using FTP at this time and with the speeds would be way slow. Does it make sense to only use CIFS or NFS? New to working with a NAS. I am using only Windows PCs.

What is the WIKI server? I assumed that's where the help files were stored but it looks like I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I see the following types available for use in this NAS:
  • CIFS
  • FTP
  • NFS
  • RB
  • MS

I have CIFS, NFS, RB and MS all enable. Don't see myself using FTP at this time and with the speeds would be way slow. Does it make sense to only use CIFS or NFS? New to working with a NAS. I am using only Windows PCs.

What is the WIKI server? I assumed that's where the help files were stored but it looks like I'm wrong.

NFS is much faster than CIFS or SMB, but it is also more difficult to setup and not as flexible. Either way though, a NAS box won't be able to bring out the full speed of any of those protocols.

When using NFS what is the process to access directories and files on a NAS. When I disable CIFS the mapped drives to folder are no longer accessible.

When using NFS what is the process to access directories and files on a NAS. When I disable CIFS the mapped drives to folder are no longer accessible.

I've only used NFS on Linux distros, never on NAS boxes, but which ever model you have, I'm sure there are PDFs that will tell you how to implement it.

Also, NFS does not use "shared" drives like SMB or CIFS, it uses a "mounted" style drive that acts as part of the OS's files. This is why it is really meant for more permanent setups, rather than SMB for quick and easy setups that are only temporary.

I've only used NFS on Linux distros, never on NAS boxes, but which ever model you have, I'm sure there are PDFs that will tell you how to implement it.

Also, NFS does not use "shared" drives like SMB or CIFS, it uses a "mounted" style drive that acts as part of the OS's files. This is why it is really meant for more permanent setups, rather than SMB for quick and easy setups that are only temporary.

Okay...this makes sense. I have both enabled but it sounds like I'm actually using CIFS. I have mapped drives point to folders to transfer files and do data backups. In explorer it looks like "Data_Backups(\\192.168.0.102) ( Y : )". I can click on these link to access the files.

Last edited:
Back