speed difference between cat 5 and ca6 cables?

zombix

[H]ard|Gawd
Im trying to to get the fastest speeds with my ps3 and im using a cat 5 network cable right now. My connection to the internet is 18 mbps down and 1.8 (believe above 1meg) up. When i speed test through my ps3 i get 14 mbps down and 1.8 mbps up.

Would going from a cat 5 to cat 6 cable increase speeds?

Zero difference whatsoever.

When you say "cat5" you really mean "Cat5e" correct?

CAT5 is rated for 100 megs. Your internet connection is 1/5th of that. Logically the ethernet cable (CAT5) is not your bottleneck.

If you had a gigabit internet connection...then you could revisit this topic.

Its likely you will never FULLY get your ISP's advertised speed,

Cat5e is the way to go right now. Cat5e cable can work with 10Gbase T for short distance so there is absolutely no need to get cat6 cables.

Cat5e is the way to go right now. Cat5e cable can work with 10Gbase T for short distance so there is absolutely no need to get cat6 cables unless you are working in an area with high interference which is where CAT6 excels.

Fixed. :)

You are absolutely right, however I don't think the OP would benefit this kind of cable :)

I made the mistake of buying 1000ft of Cat6 to wire my house. I felt like a dumbass when I realized that 10G Base T would work with Cat 5e in most environments (even if there is no way I could afford a switch with even a pair of 10G ports).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alext5
Cat5e is the way to go right now. Cat5e cable can work with 10Gbase T for short distance so there is absolutely no need to get cat6 cables unless you are working in an area with high interference which is where CAT6 excels.

What could cause high interference?

Also, CAT6 can handle higher/different voltage signals as well, making it far more diverse than CAT5e, but for 100Mb speeds and under, CAT5 should me more than enough.

I can tell you right now you will not see a slightest bit of difference from a CAT 5, CAT 5e, CAT 6, CAT 7 when it comes to speeds on your PS3 and playing on the internet. you do not have fast enough internet for it to max out a 100mbits cable (even the fast home comcast internet is only 50mbits)

In other words CAT 5e is even a waste of money but any more it is hard to find anything lower then a CAT 5e cable.

BUT if you are networking your PS3 to your PC and want to do media sharing then you would want to go with a CAT 5e cable but again only if you are on a 10/100/1000 connection (gigaLAN)
If you are on 10/100 then a CAT 5 cable with work and a CAT 5e will not do anything more for you.

The CAT 6 spex are just more then you need, if you are willing to speed the money then really not a bad option but do not expect to get any performance gains from it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

CAT 6 could be used if you were networking 50 PS3 to 50 PCs all in the same building and media sharing, other then that you still could go with CAT 5e and not notice a thing ;)

I have heard this info on cat 5 ....e and 6 and had a question
I have read you can use cat5 on giga if you ...etc
but is the wiring the same in cat5 and 5e or are their pairs swapped?
also the comment on use cat5e on short distances instead of cat6
what is short?

I have heard this info on cat 5 ....e and 6 and had a question
I have read you can use cat5 on giga if you ...etc
but is the wiring the same in cat5 and 5e or are their pairs swapped?
also the comment on use cat5e on short distances instead of cat6
what is short?

CAT 5 shouldn't but can be used on Giga, why? because it was designed for 10/100 but it still can work with 10/100/1000 or Giga.

"Category 5
The specification for category 5 cable was defined in ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-A, with clarification in TSB-95. These documents specified performance characteristics and test requirements for frequencies of up to 100 MHz.
Category 5[2] cable includes twisted pairs in a single cable jacket. This use of balanced lines helps preserve a high signal-to-noise ratio despite interference from both external sources and other pairs (this latter form of interference is called crosstalk). It is most commonly used for 100 Mbit/s networks, such as 100BASE-TX Ethernet, although IEEE 802.3ab defines standards for 1000BASE-T – Gigabit Ethernet over category 5 cable. Cat 5 cable typically has three twists per inch of each twisted pair of 24 gauge (AWG) copper wires within the cables."
-------------------------------------- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

No wires are "swapped" but there are two different wiring methods; T568A Wiring and T568B Wiring

Matching T568A or T568B to each end of the cable is a "straight-through" cable.

If you have a T568A Wiring plug on one end and a T568B Wiring plug on the other you now have a "Cross-Over" Cable.

There is no swapping or at least I'm not understanding the swapping you are referring too.

Short reach.?.?. 100m is the max you want to run any other these cables, yes even CAT 6

I don't know why it matters otherwise, short the better but just don't go over 100m ;)

More reading ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

Yea.... my whole house is wired with CAT5e and have no problem getting Gigabit speeds....

You are absolutely right, however I don't think the OP would benefit this kind of cable :)

I made the mistake of buying 1000ft of Cat6 to wire my house. I felt like a dumbass when I realized that 10G Base T would work with Cat 5e in most environments (even if there is no way I could afford a switch with even a pair of 10G ports).

You're going to wire your house, waste a whole bunch of time doing it, and you were upset that you spent a whopping $30 extra on CAT6 which is more future proof than the old old dinosaur that is CAT5e?(Monoprice 550mhz CAT6 is only $30 more than 350mhz CAT5e per 1000ft)

I could understand non in-wall installations to save money, but you don't want to do that shit twice.

Cat5e is good up to Gig Speeds... Cat6 will do 10gE...

Rumor has it that Force10 is looking to release a 40gigE switch by this summer... and who know what cable you'll need for that.

Cat5e is the way to go right now. Cat5e cable can work with 10Gbase T for short distance so there is absolutely no need to get cat6 cables.

Well, considering what you just said I hope you stay away from networks and sick to vmware. Cat5e with 10GBast-T? I don't think so...

Back