• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Specs for Text?

Fahim

2[H]4U
Joined
May 22, 2001
Messages
3,695
First of all sorry I'm creating this post - I couldn't find something that could directly answer this question.

What are the Specifications are important for Text?

I'm looking for a monitor that I can use for work. I spend 90% of my day, reading and writing emails, working powerpoint or excel and there are so many monitor choices these days that I'm totally lost.

What specs should I be looking for? High Contrast Ratio? Solid backlighting? White production?
Any recommendations?

Right now I have an old Samsung SyncMaster 204bw and I have no idea why, I absolutely hate it. Colors are completely whack.

Thoughts? Looking to stay somewhere between $150-$200 I keep thinking I want to get the Dell S2340L but it has such mixed reviews.

Additional Info:
- I play a little Diablo 3 and I do some light Adobe Lightroom photo editing. So in addition to sharp text rendering, some accurate color reproduction would be great.

- I don't think I want anything too glossy, but willing to consider it if the quality and price match up.

- I think I want to stay away from TN and leaning more towards IPS. I don't think I need something super responsive, but I would like something, to what I believe is important when you are looking at a monitor for longer periods of time, is a high refresh rate. My eyes glaze over fast.
 
Panel type dont matter that much as far as I can tell from what people say and my own experiences. Anti-reflection treatment (AG (Anti-Glare) for short) does affect text clarity, is what most people state is an issue. Unfortunately it goes two ways here. Some people prefer heavy AG to avoid reflections cause they work in bright environments. Other people prefer the crispness of glossy or semi-glossy displays and work in dark or light-controlled rooms.

Sounds like you ought to try IPS. The S2340L is glossy btw.
 
If you do a lot of text-viewing for work, and spend so much time of your day with text, I would get a non-glossy monitor for your work, and then if you need a good monitor for non-text-based work, I would consider a 2-monitor setup--get a second monitor (for gaming, media, etc.) that fits those needs. Of course, not the most cost-efficient method.

Another thing that I've found useful for lots of text/document work all day is using a "high-contrast mode" (windows has these in Themes, and you can customize to your preference). The bright white background of most text documents, to me, is what causes me the most discomfort with working with text all day. High contrast modes invoke alternative background/text profiles.

Though word of warning, apparently some CSS text in some webpages does not render the proper color all of the time. I just switch back to non-high-contrast mode in Windows when not editing text for long periods of time (you can just set a user profile in Windows' Themes)
 
Back
Top