specific ghosting/boot problem

MadJuggla9

2[H]4U
I'm working on our main backup pc at work that has a proprietary program used for customer information. The mobo had 15 flexed/blown caps all around the CPU.

I decided to ghost the HD in case of any suprises but neither of the 2 chkdskd drives I ghosted it to will boot. I performed a fixmbr on each, and tried ghosting the drives from another machine in case the flex caps from the original machine's mobo was causing any data corruption.

It just comes up and says disk boot failure. If i pop the original HD back in, its works great.

I tried disregarding the boot failure and doing a 'reload/reinstall' over the existing copy of windows but it didnt have the option (perhaps bc the disc was SP1). I tried merging anyways by installing onto the same partition with the ghosted drive and it messed up the way the accounts tie in with windows; which isnt suprising, but then I couldnt load profiles, and a lot of links to programs and registry stuff was missing.

At this point i'd like to just get a ghosted drive into windows on the original pc, upgrade it from XP Corp to XP Home SP2 on the original pc, and THEN see if I am able to do the repair option when I swap the mobos.

Install new mobo, repair XP SP2 with new mobo if it doesnt auto boot, then it should boot up as if nothing happened except for drivers/etc, that's usually what I expect. garrr :confused:

Back